We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Grand Cayman

new york, NY
8 posts
Save Topic
Marriott Grand Cayman

Hello,

We booked the Marriott, I was wondering does it have free wi-fi?

I keep reading about the beach being narrow. Is it really that bad?

I booked it on orbitz ocean view catagory, now I am reading people aren't gauranteed what they paid for.

Any rec on restaurants?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

The Marriott is a great location as there are many things you can do in walking distance. There are places like XQ's, Fidel Murphys, Ioca and many others very close and Camana Bay is a short walk. You can ask anyone for the doorman to the servers to point you in the right direction. The beach is narrow, but you have room on either side. Not sure when you booked for but they are scheduled for a major overhaul which includes the outside bar area, pool deck etc. Depending on how this is done the beach size may be widened. It is a nice stretch however and the reef balls they put in place a few years to protect the beach from erosion are really starting to attract marine life which is a nice plus. With regard to orbitz I cannot help you. We don't use them -- tried once, turned out badly, never again. Others think they are great. I can tell you that no matter where how you book rooms are based on availability. Usually if a guest arrives and the room type requested is not available they will try to upgrade you. However, booking through a third party you are on the bottom of the list. People who are repeat guests, participate loyalty programmes, etc., have first dibs. There are simply times when events (weather, emergency repairs, and other unforeseeable events) make it impossible for room requests to be honored so usually there is some fine print about this. I am not sure if "guaranteed" is actually in the fine print!!! Doubt it on the free wi-fi. Most hotels that are not business hotels do not offer this anywhere in the world (although once again some loyalty programmes etc include it). As of last time I was in the hotel (not staying) there were still a number of computers in the lobby for free usage by guests! Hope this helps.

new york, NY
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

Thank you very much for your help! We are going May 9-13 and really hope the renovation is not going on at that time!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

I doubt (not guarantee) that it will be. Usually renovations happen during the quiet months of September/October. Obviously not everything goes as planned and some projects are too big to be done in that time frame, however, I am sure you will be in the safe zone. There is lots to do all around there and the hotel is known for how friendly and helpful the staff are. I am sure you will have a really lovely time!!!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

As Retrip said, Marriott beach is quite narrow. However given when you plan on being there, it probably will not be as congested as during high season. You will undoubtedly find the Marriott to be a fine choice overall and appreciate the many pluses of its location.

We once booked a certain class of hotel room (not in GC) via Expedia when there was no avilability for that category directly from the property. Paid top dollar to Expedia, then upon arrival was assigned to a glorified closet. There was no recourse since booking was made thru Expedia other than to submit displeasure with Expedia upon our return home. Their response was "cannot guarentee you will get what you expected and paid for, but will offer a $25 discount on next Expedia reservation made within 12 months." Lesson learned...they got their money in full and we will NEVER again reserve thru Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

I always book my stays directly with a hotel or condo whenever I travel. I enjoy speaking directly with the reservation staff, I can make sure that my preferences are noted and a conversation adds the personal touch to the process.

Virginia
Level Contributor
248 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

We stayed there in late May last year and enjoyed it very much. The beach is narrow but still lovely and the snorkeling is quite good if you don't mind the absence of reefs. We ate at both the hotel restaurants and were pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. If you like cheeseburgers, definitely splurge on one while at the beach. They are huge!

new york, NY
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

Thank you all for your helpful tips! I contacted the hotel to ensure they received my booking. I also made it clear its oceanview, the lady at the reservations desk said that "if you paid for oceanview, you will be gauranteed oceanview". I hope thats true! Thanks again!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

Smart move, the personal, and not annonymous touch goes a long way. I'm sure you will love it.

Edited: 8:10 pm, April 08, 2013
9. Re: Marriott Grand Cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 10, 2014