We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantana and transportation

Minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Plantana and transportation

We are thinking of staying at Plantana in July. What is the cost for a taxi for a family of 6 to Plantana? Can you reserve with a company in advance who would provide car seats?

Also how far to Georgetown to shop for an afternoon and a visit to Margarittaville? How much would this cost? Does a bus stop outside the hotel? Thank you! I know it's a lot of questions!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantana and transportation

https:/…

Note that the rate is for up to 3 people, the fare will be higher for 6 people. I have not been in a taxi that provides car seats, although I have never asked. The bus runs right by Plantana to and from George Town, the ride takes about 15 minutes, depending on traffic. You do not reserve a taxi in advance, simply sign up for one as you exit the airport. They are lined up and waiting for passengers.

All that said, it would be much more practical for a family of 6 to rent a car and not depend on the public minibus system.

Edited: 3:53 pm, March 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantana and transportation

The bus does pass by Plantana, but know that busses are actually small vans and at certain times of the day getting 6 on the same van might be difficult. I think cost to Georgetown is about $2 CI for each person each way.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantana and transportation

We traveled to GC with our 2yo and brought our own car seat. We purchased a good, lighter-weight car seat a while back just for traveling and so glad we did. We found that we couldn't always count on reserving one with cab companies (at the various places we've visited), plus saves us some money in the long run vs. paying extra for one with car rentals.

Also, as you probably know, airlines don't typically charge to check in a car seat (at the gate or otherwise). We found it just easier to check it with our other bags vs. towing it around at the airport(s). Then it was readily available for us to use (regardless of the mode of transportation we opted for) at arrival and throughout our stay.

Have fun in GC and Plantana! We'll be there in June!

4. Re: Plantana and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 19, 2014