We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is meal plan worth it?

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is meal plan worth it?

My wife and I are going to Peter Island for five days in June and keep going back and forth on whether or not to get the meal plan. The meal plan comes out to about $1,100 more for the five nights. That seems kind of high to me considering there is no alcohol included. Has anyone been there without getting the meal plan? Anyone have an opinion on which way to go?

Also, is the ferry that takes you from Peter Island to Tortola free and how late does it run? Is it a possibility to go there for dinner on a few nights?

Thanks!

27 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Hi,

I am going to Peter Island in November and I am asking myself the same question. I see that no one responded to you. Did you end up going with the meal plan and was it worth it? I appreciate your response!

Thank you!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Sorry I missed the original post. We had a terrific stay at PI and used the meal plan. There aren't any other places to eat on PI, and there isn't any feasible way you could cook in your room, unless you are staying in one of the villas. We took a bottle of alcohol with us for afternoon cocktails. It wouldn't be worth the time and effort to take the ferry back and forth to Tortola for meals - you'd be better off staying some place on Tortola, imho.

have a great trip, alashas https://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Thank you for this information! I can't wait for the trip.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

You are welcome! If you've never experienced scuba diving, consider a resort dive with the PI dive shop, it's a great dive staff, and the Caribbean under the water is amazing....

http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Yes-get the meal plan. You will be on an island with no other alternatives other than paying as you go. The food is good, varied and plentiful. We were there last January and the meal plan alternated nights between the casual beach restaurant and the more upscale restaurant. Both were fine. Enjoy!!

Edgewood, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Alexandra - when are you reaveling to the island? My wife & I are headed the end on November for 4 nights.

As far as a meal plan - Every time that we've gone that route at other resorts, we've been sorry. So we're not goning to get it. Seriously though, how much different could the total bill end up being? I'd rather end up spending more and get what we want when we want it, .vs. feeling like I have to get my money's worth. ...like a buffet.... I'd rather just order off the menu.

I do, however, plan to bring a bottle or 2 for our room.... I hope that's ok. Sounds like it is. Any thoughts by previous travelers??

Thanks.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

LuvDCaribbean,

We took gin with us to PI for pre-dinner cocktails in our room and didn't have any problems. Have a great trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Boston
Level Contributor
403 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Going next week, will let you know, You should also ask the resort to provide meal information.

I don't think you you can compare the PI meal plan with other hotel meal plan options. It is fine dining and you order form a menuu ,you are not restricted. They are catering to the hotel clients.

Edgewood, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

Thanks to you both. ....I signed up for the meal plan, and, will purchase a bottle of something for a pre-dinner/after-dinner cocktail.

Kathleen - looking forward to an updated review with some good advice.

Ralph

Boston
Level Contributor
403 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is meal plan worth it?

You definately should do the meal plan

Example of prices

Pancakes/ French toast similar menu items , about $12 + coffe + juice

Lunch ,appetizer salad $18, pizzza $20, fish Sand $22

Dinner entrees are high 30s-40, desert $10