We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Trails

ct. usa
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Trails

Has anyone utilized the walking trails at P.I.? We will be there soon, and would like to get some exercise and love to hike. Any advice about them would be appreciated.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
32 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Trails

I hiked quite a bit while there. The hills are very steep. There will be walking sticks in your room, if needed. Remember they drive on the left, and you'll share the road with a rare resort truck or golf cart...the blind curves have mirrors set up.

They have periodic benches with cover and water, typically at some breathtaking view. The best hike is the 3 mile sunset loop...sounds easy until you realize 1.5 miles of it is straight up. Go early to see the wild goats. And ask the staff before you go the first time--there are no signs--head up for the Sunset loop or down for White Bay beach.

It feels extremely remote--you may not see anyone else on your walk. Stunning views. It's like having your own island.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Trails

I went mountain biking and the views are stunning...however, if you're not in great shape, that uphill climb can be tough. Also, we spent part of the day at White Beach (gorgeous beach with calm water, great snorkeling, not to be missed) but the pick up van didn't make it's last usual run and we were stranded for a bit -- the only people on the beach and dark coming and a LONG hike back. We were finally able to get the walkie talkie working (they keep one in a shed on the beach) and they picked us up. So...just know that you can certainly find places to be totally alone -- and that's great, but do let someone at the front desk know where you're headed, especially if you think you'll need a lift back, and take a map.

See my pics and info http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/

3. Re: Walking Trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, November 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Peter Island