We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
295 posts
345 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

If you had one day to do whatever you want, what would your perfect day look like? Where would you go?

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
481 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

Very interested in the same thing. Going in June for a day and want to know what to miss and skip.

So far I have thought Cow Wreck beach and Loblolly Bay are the have to beach spots. Don't know much else!

Looking forward to more responses.

Hampton, VA
Level Contributor
69 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

As soon as you get off the boat, catch a taxi to the other side of the island to Loblolly Beach. Kind of a stark drive on a ramshackle old concrete road (only room for one car at a time). Beautiful stretch of white beach with a quirky bar right off the beach. Great place to sit on the beach with a cold drink in your hand while you take in the beautiful sight. You'll probably see some locals on the beach getting their lobsters from the traps. We've been all over the BVI's and this is where we enjoyed the view and quiet the most.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

We had the same dilemma when we were going over to spend the day from Little Dix in Virgin Gorda. We took the public ferry and then walked to the Anegada Beach Club. (A very short distance.) We sat down and a lovely had breakfast. It was our 1st time seeing an "Honor Bar" ever. In the BVI they have "honor bars" where you make your own drinks and then leave the payment. What a wonderful concept! We were enchanted by being someplace with that level of trust!

http://www.anegadabeachclub.com/dining/

From there we took a taxi to Loblolly, and then settled in in front of the Big Bamboo's beach. At their bar, they offer the most unique way to leave a post that I've been seen. You're invited to scour the beach for a piece of driftwood and return with it to the bar. They lend your a magnifying glass, then you use the sun to burn your message for posterity into the wood. When you're done, it'll be added to the collection that adorns their bar. Be careful though...as the sun was in and out the day we were there, due to drifting clouds, I'd run in and out of the water to keep burning in our message.

Not paying attention to adding sunscreen as I was in and out. Big mistake...BIG!!! It was the worst, most painful sunburn of my life. Worth it though ast was much better than leaving a t-shirt or a part of your swimsuit like the ceiling at Foxxy's on Jost Van Dyck!

http://bigbamboo.vg

While you're on Loblolly, walk around the point to the right of the bar (facing the water) and you'll walk straight into Flash of Beauty Beach. Another spectacular arc of sand! Swim back to Loblolly, and then have grilled Spiney lobster for lunch with rice and peas.

After lunch, I'd pre-arrange for the taxi to come back to get you and then take you over to Cow Wreck Beach for a swim and and libation.

http://www.cowwreckbeach.com/index.htm

Have the taxi pick you up Cow Wreck giving you enough time to browse the shops near the ferry dock before you need to board for the return trip to VG.

The end to a perfect day...

Anegada, because it's so small and unspoiled, really feels like the Caribbean before mega/all-inclusive resorts and jet skis invaded the region.

Happy Planning! Best wishes for a trip that exceeds your expectations! ;~>

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

I think you must have walked to Anegada Reef Hotel, The Beach Club is out past Cow Wreck, that would be quite a walk!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

Oops...Thanks Nauticall for the correction! I actually thought it was called the Reef Hotel, but when I didn't see it online, I though perhaps they'd changed the name. I did mean that hotel that's the first property you come to walking from the ferry.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

When we go for the day we take the ferry and rent a jeep from Dean Wheatley. Breakfast at Neptunes, Loblolly Beach at Flash of Beauty or Big Bamboo and Cow Wreck Beach. Cow Wreck is probably our favorite spot in the BVIs.

Cheers, RickG

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

RickG,

Do the cows still wander the beach at Cow Wreck/ ROWL!

Thanks!

LM ;~.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
295 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

Wow! Thanks for all the details Lucian!! Good stuff!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

I agree with RickG, and would include a couple of shop visits at Pat's Pottery and the Purple Turtle. Here is Dean's number for car rental:

(284) 495-9677

Cow Wreck is about as good a beach bar as it gets.

Also, if it is the right time of the year, Windlass Bight features shallow waters saturated with mating nurse sharks. It is enough to have made Marlin Perkins blush...

Columbus...
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in Anegada! What would you do?

Arrange to have a jeep waiting. Best 70.00 bucks you'll ever spend. The island will be all yours at that point. With a little homework and a map, no problems. Anegada is the most peaceful place we have ever traveled. Very low key and you feel like it's almost deserted.

Get answers to your questions about Anegada