We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay/St.John vs. Biras Creek/Virgin Gorda

London, UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caneel Bay/St.John vs. Biras Creek/Virgin Gorda

My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip to the Virgin Islands the first week of June for about 6 nights. We are deciding between Caneel Bay on St. John vs. Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda. I'd love feedback from anyone who's stayed at either, or particularly both, resorts. I like that Caneel is more convenient, and the beaches look amazing. I fear that the resort will feel too big and impersonal, and my husband likes to lounge by the pool. Biras looks like it will have more personable service, better food, better rooms, and the pool looks nicer. Downside is that it's a bigger pain to get to.

Thanks!!!

Gumption's Tours BVI
Scuba & Snorkeling, Night Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Carib Kiteboarding
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
3 replies to this topic
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay/St.John vs. Biras Creek/Virgin Gorda

My opinion would be go for Caneel. The food is better than Biras Creek, but more importantly, you have a wealth of dining options in Cruz Bay that are better than anything Caneel has to offer...much less what Virgin Gorda has to offer. The beaches are stunning at Caneel and are its best feature. If you wish to see Virgin Gorda also, arrange a time split between Caneel and its sister property on Virgin Gorda, Little Dix.

New York
Level Contributor
622 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay/St.John vs. Biras Creek/Virgin Gorda

Go to Caneel Bay.- it has ok pool but the property is 100s of acres with 7 private pristine, quiet and serene beaches.......with good snorkelikng rt off the shore. Nature and the 7 gorgeous secluded clean, divine beaches are what you get! And you rarely see anyone but you get enough attention from staff.

The food is mediocre abut Cruz Bay has good restuarants and taxis can take you there and back in 5mins, St Johns has tons of toher fantastic beaches for great snorkeling ...if you deicded to rent car and go off Caneel Bay. But with 7 terrific beaches right on the property, you don't need to drive outside unless you want to.

We celebrated our 30th anniversary there and loved the BEACHes, the serenity and the pure beauty............rt at Caneel Bay. And you can go to its sister resort at Little Dix Bay and split your vacation if you'd prefer. Rosewood has a package w/the two resorts. You get to experience Virgin Gorda and St John's USVI in one wk.

But if your husband is into TENNIS AND POOLS, and TVs, Caneel Bay si NOT the place for him. He'd probably be better at the Westin. That Westin in St John would have all this but that beach is 'man-made and pathetic........more people and boats moored rt there and more the 'run of the mill' resort. And if you want peace and serenity, Westin will NOT have it, as there will be kids and families.

Biras Creek is more comparabel to Caneel Bay/Little Dix Bay but perhaps pool is nicer/bigger at BC.

Good luck & Happy Anniversary!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
345 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay/St.John vs. Biras Creek/Virgin Gorda

Caneel Bay was one of our favorite trips ever! We stayed in a room on Hawksnest Beach and the view was amazing - a small palm lined cove with a gorgeous beach that felt very private. Drink service was via golf cart and the Pina Coladas hit the spot (yes the cart had a blender!). We spent a morning snorkeling from one end of the property to the other and saw tons of fish! We loved our room and the special touches - sea shells left on your pillow at turn down, complimentary bottle of run, etc. Going into town was fun for shopping, bar hopping and really nice restaurants. I could go on and on... go to Caneel you will not regret it!

Reply to: Caneel Bay/St.John vs. Biras Creek/Virgin Gorda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted