We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health and disease in the BVI

UK
1 post
Save Topic
Health and disease in the BVI

Our little family is coming to the BVI this week-end for 2 weeks from the UK. Is there any particular concerns health wise that we should be prepared for ?. Dengue fever ?. Should we bring long sleeves t-shirts for my little boys and trousers for mosquito bites?.

It seems to be a fairly safe destination and beautiful.

I was wondering about bringing wetsuits ( shorty ).

Any advice welcome, and thak you for your help.

Louisville
Level Contributor
57 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health and disease in the BVI

I never had a problem with bug bites, but I am usually out on the water except for evenings on shore. The constant breezes seem to keep the bugs moving. Might as well bring some spray, just in case (pump bottles only). Shorty wetsuit not really needed. A "rash guard" or "skin" might be a better choice, to protect from coral scrapes, jellyfish, and sunburn. I am unaware of any diseases.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health and disease in the BVI

We were just there and felt no need for a wetsuit while diving. Water was pretty warm. I'm thinking 82 degrees while we were there.

Bugs were not bad and most restaurants have OFF sitting on the counter if you need it. I did not get a bite while I was there, but my hubby attracts mosquitos and no see ums, so we always put on bug stuff when we were out and about. I never heard or read about dengue fever on the island in any of my research, but as I'm sure you know dengue fever can happen anywhere that has mosquitos. We had no problems while we were there and had a lot of fun.

We felt it was a very safe place to visit and never felt uncomforatble walking about at night.

Enjoy.

Lu2
BVI
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Health and disease in the BVI

Recent suspected Dengue cases in the BVI (last month) = none that we are aware of.

Mosquitoes are not that bad at this time of the year - it's slightly cooler and less humid than the summer months. Do wear trousers in the evenings, it will help alleviate some of the bites. If you are really worried, a liberal spread of deet-free anti-bug cream should do the trip, and ask your hotel for a mosquito net for the night.

I would be more concerned about the sun - the air is very clean at the moment, and the sun is burning hot due to double reflection off the clouds (it's not that cloudy). Make sure your children have UV protective clothing and are regularly coated in factor 30.

4. Re: Health and disease in the BVI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda