We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 pm, June 23, 2015
Boston
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

I am a fan of Virgin Gorda and can answer some of your questions, but I think you need to do a lot more research on each of these islands to find out what they are like.

Virgin Gorda is very safe. It doesn't have the resort crowds like you maybe thinking. The beaches are very secluded and don't have busy water sports.

Virgin Gorda is harder to get to than St. John, so you might want to figure that in too.

You will have to look at the legal aspects of getting married in these locations. That might be the deciding factor on where you go.

The less busy time would be in December before the holidays. The start of the holidays and afterwards are the beginning of high season. And with high season, all rates go up.

The weather is great in both locale's throughout the winter season, so you don't have to worry about either.

There is someone recently who asked about planning a wedding on Virgin Gorda. I have been to the island many times and I believe planning a wedding would be rather difficult, but could be done and has been. There is a wedding planner on the island who could help you. Someone on the forum might know her name if you ask in a separate post. Good Luck and congratulations. Let us know what you decide.

Bala Cynwyd...
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

Following up on Tia's great response, we got married on St. John, on Trunk Bay at sunset. Stayed at Caneel Bay, which is a place which would also be great for a beach wedding (we stayed on Scott Beach, but the property has I think seven beaches). Hard to go wrong with either island for a wonderful, relaxing vacation. Feel free to email me if you want further info. Good luck and congrats!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

See below for my comments:

I am planning a destination wedding in Dec 2014/Jan 2015 but I can't decide between BVI or USVI. I narrowed the list down to St.John and Virgin Gorda. I haven't been to either islands before and would really appreciate your feedback if you have been to both islands.

Both islands are great - depends where your guests are coming from - if Canada - direct flight to San Juan on Westjet on Saturdays then its just an island hopper to VG. To do STT you would need to connect in a US city to get a direct to St thomas then a ferry to St. John (no big deal).

I want more than just a pretty beach, and found that these islands have some hills, rocks in the water so in general they both have more scenery than just a pretty beach. We don't want it flat and dull. I would love to do the wedding on a nice white sand near the blue crystal water.

Both islands will give you that - check out www.adagiovilla.com for info on VG

1.Which one of these islands have that more than the other ? Both the same though Vg is less crowded

2. Which one is more cost effective ? less pricey ? Both use USD - so probably equal

3. which one would allow me to customize the wedding the way i want it to be in terms of colors and decor ? don't worry about that a wedding planner will follow your orders.

4. Which one is safer ? Probably VG

5. How is the weather in Dec and Jan in both these islands ? Both islands have Christmas winds which make for surf and its breezy but the weather is great.

6. Which time is less busy December (Dec.15-21) or January (Jan 8-15, or Jan12-19) ? Dec 15- 21 is less busy the dates in January mean that its high season and therefore you'll end up paying more.

7. Do you recommend any hotels or villa rentals located on the beach ? I recommend Mahoe Bay as you can rent 4-5 villas and all will be within a minute of each other - see the website above

We will have about 23 guests attending this wedding (ages range from 21 years old-65 years old) most of them are in their mid 20s to early 30s and ohh probably 2 kids will come along (not sure yet). We want a peaceful and SECLUDED area away from the crowds. We want to be able to enjoy the beach, do some water sports and hiking if there is and explore the island. We dont want to do anything crazy at night,,,,we just want to chilax and enjoy good food while gazing at the sky!

(Virgin Gorda - Mahoe Bay is definitely where you want to go for this)

I would really appreciate all your feedback ! Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

This is great advice from everyone. Don't get put off by the obstacles. Make it happen if you want it! You won't regret it in the end, and you will be truly giving all of your guests a very special gift they will remember for years to come.

Someone once said that traveling just gets better with age, whereas possessions just get thrown out. Once you buy a sweater, jewelry, car, etc, it losses its appeal shortly after your purchase, but with a trip it only grows fonder after as the years go by.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

I don't like to duplicate what others have already said, but it IS your wedding and the more information you get, the better. Everyone gave great responses to your questions.

There is not any area on St John that has direct beach access like Mahoe Bay and that has the collection of villas necessary to handle your needs. Peter Bay would probably be the closest thing. If you decide to go with villas on the beach, make sure you contact gordaguy2. He can help you! If I were ever to venture from the wiles of Guavaberry I would rent Adagio in a heartbeat. I stare at it longingly every time I visit Mahoe...just before I snorkel out to the outstanding double reef just off shore.

If you decide to stay at a resort, Caneel Bay on St John is one of the best beach resorts anywhere, with seven outstanding beaches on property and many others nearby within the national park. BlueHen obviously has great taste! They also would easily be able to help you with your wedding planning. Their sister property on VG, Little Dix, would also be able to take care of your needs. Little Dix rests on a lovely beach as well.

St John is a larger island than VG and though considered quiet (vs. St Thomas), it is considerably more bustling than VG. "Bustling" translates to more shops, more restaurants and bars, more beaches, much better hiking (due to the outstanding national park trail system), and, of course, more people. VG is definitely more quiet and laid back. You will go to beaches on VG and not see a soul. That stopped happening on St John almost 20 years ago.

Statistically, VG is safer than St John. Neither is particularly dangerous, but VG is one of the safest destinations you will travel to anywhere.

Best of look on your upcoming nuptials!

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

Well I have to say that I would pick VG as I got married there 2 years ago and we stayed at Adagio Villa on Mahoe Bay. Great Villa!There are several Villas there that are within a short walk from each other and direct access to a really nice beach. Are wedding was on the beach at Savannah Bay, I chose that beach because you can drive right up to the beach so we wouldn't have far to walk. If you like the boulders on the beach you might want to have it on Spring Bay beach. Our wedding planner lives on VG, her name is Tiina, if you want her contact info let me know. She met us on Tortola and walked us through the paperwork, you do have to be in the BVI's at least 3 days before the ceremony. As someone else said you will not find any villas on St John that have direct beach access so you will have to drive to get to the beach. Hope this helps, if you want any more info just let me know.

7. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

8. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

9. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US

10. Re: Destination Wedding + Honeymoon (Virgin Gorda VS. St.John US