We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
9 posts
Save Topic
Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

My wife and I went to Nail Bay Resort, Virgin Gorda the second week of June. I think it was one of, if not the best, vacation of our lives. 2 years ago we went to Caneel Bay Resort on St. John, and enjoyed that too--but this vacation was even better.

Nail Bay is not the lavish resort Caneel Bay is, but we enjoyed it more. The office staff there (Kasha and Abigale in particular) were very helpful, friendly, and accomodating. Our Villa, Sundowner, was a dream come true. Very private, only 40 ft. from the beach (Nail Bay Beach was very desserted, too--we only saw one family one time the week we were there). The Villa was very nice, with every amenity (even a bread maker and Satellite TV). Very clean. Nice, warm plunge pool with a fountain.

Sure the road to Nail Bay is bumpy and hilly, but we had a 4 wheel drive and it was a blast. The mosquitoes were small, and didn't bite me (my wife had some trouble with them, but the odorless repellent took care of this problem).

We had a minor problem with the utilities one day and the office staff jumped right on it and got it taken care of quickly. Then, they gave us a free meal to the Rock Cafe! Very good food and service at the Rock.

We also went to the North Sound. Particularly enjoyed the Bitter End Yacht Club's lunch buffet.

Went to the Baths. Lots of fun and quite worthwhile, seeing if you can get lost in the rocks. Snorkeling was excellent. By the way, Spring Bay and Devil's Bay, near the baths, are both worth a trip. Devil's Bay is a beautiful hideaway.

Really enjoyed Giorgio's Table restaurant too. Nice view on the water, excellent food, excellent service.

Would I go back to Nail Bay? In a heartbeat......

JLGL

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

As St. John enthusiasts whose enthusiasm has waned since the island has gotten so built up, we’re looking more seriously at VG. We have only been there once and stayed at Biras Creek, which was fabulous but too expensive to do very often.

Your report on Nail Bay has rocketed that place high on our short list. We always stay high up on the Coral Bay end of STJ so the rough roads don’t bother us. Why did you pick Sundowner and would you rent it again? How was the privacy – how close to other villas? Did you get a chance to check out any of the others? (We don’t mind renting a bigger place than we need if we prefer the view, privacy, etc.)

And how was it in June? Breezy? Did you need the AC?

Atlanta
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

My fiance and I booked the Sundowner for our honeymoon in Nov. I have been really fired up about it and am gald to hear the raving reviews. Satelite TV now....WOW! I was wondering how I was going to watch MNF.

Glad you had a good time.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

Why did you pick Sundowner and would you rent it again?

We picked Sundowner because we wanted a place that was very private, close to the beach, and had a view of the sunsets. YES we definitely would rent it again.

How was the privacy – how close to other villas?

There are neighbors right behind the Sundowner, but the foilage keeps Sundowner hidden from the Sunset Watch villas. (sometimes we could hear the neighbors but couldn't see them) When you are on your deck or in your plunge pool, people can't see you unless they would walk up to your villa.

Did you get a chance to check out any of the others? (We don’t mind renting a bigger place than we need if we prefer the view, privacy, etc.)

We didn't really go to any of the other villas but we could see them from down on the beach. Sunset Watch is behind, and looks pretty private too. I believe it was the Drakes View Villa on the hill south of Sundowner that looked like it would be pretty nice, but it was a longer walk down to the beach.

And how was it in June? Breezy? Did you need the AC?

Breezy on the beach but not so much at the villa. AC was needed, esp. at night. Temps around 90 degrees F.

Bring mosquito repellant.

JLGL

New Jersey
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

Sounds like a great place. Thanks for the tips.

5. Re: Great Time at Nail Bay, Virgin Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 16, 2009