We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip

My husband and I are staying on STJ but want to do a day trip to VG. We are thinking of taking the ferry over, renting a dinghy and exploring that way. Or the other option would be to rent a car for the day and see what we can. Is this a good way to go? Has anyone done this? We would love to cruise over but it is just the two of us and have no luck tryong to find someone to share a boat with. Please let me know what the best way to go would be. We would hate to miss the trip. Have done Foxxy's and Soggy but want to see more. Hope you can help!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip

I would take the ferry and rent a car from Mahogany and spend the day exploring the island. They are fantastic, highly recommended.

Have a look through the forum posts to get an idea of what you want to see/do on VG.

east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
216 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip

As usual Saffie gives excellent advice. We did the ferry day trip out of St. John,and then rented a dinghy and checked out the North Sound and had a ton of fun doing it! However, we had already checked out the the Bath's, Spring Bay etc...on a previous trip to Tortola, and wanted to see more of what was on the other side. It was a fabulous day, but if it was my first time, I would wholeheartedy recommend going the rental car route.

Your actual time on island is somewhat limited due to longish (approx. 90 min.) ferry ride. The ferry leaves at 8:30, so it's probably 10:30 or so that you've cleared cutoms and gotten your rental. The return is at 3:00 , and you want to be back a bit before that, so you really have approx. 4 hours to explore. That's enough time to hit some really cool spots, and get a great overview of the island. One tip I would give, is try to be one of the first off the ferry, as there will be a line going through customs, and it's way better to up front than in the back! Hope this helps.

ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip

Thanks so much for the advise. We want to see as much as possible and I now we are so limited to time. I will check out the car rentals.

Great Meadows, New...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip

I would rent a car....have lunch at hog haven-fantastic food and views - Do not miss the Baths. Savannah Bay is a must see too.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip

live4thebeach has given you an accurate time schedule. Now you have to decide how best to use it. Like saffie said, there are a lot of suggestions in this forum. kimberlysea01 just gave you a couple of good suggestions above.

This is a matter of opinion, but I cannot imagine going to Virgin Gorda without seeing the boulder strewn area at the south end of the island. Most people consider that area primarily "The Baths". You will be there in the middle of the day and many of the folks that came over on the ferry with you are going there, along with cruise and sail boat folks, so expect the Baths to be crowded. Maybe not as crowded as Trunk Bay in the middle of the day but in the same league. It is the most popular tourist attraction in the BVI for good reason. If the crowds don't bother you, I would spend half of that four hour period live4thebeach allotted snorkeling and hiking the trail at the Baths. If you would prefer not to deal with crowds, before you get to the Baths there is a sign and parking area for the Crawl National Park. Park there and go down the short trail. You can enjoy the beach going to the south (left when you reach the end of the trail), which is Spring Bay, and north (right), which will lead you to Little Trunk and Valley Trunk beaches via beach walks and short paths through the woods. Not quite as dramatic as the Baths but the same topography and no crowds. If you desire to see the Baths area from there, you can snorkel over to that area from the beach at the south end of Spring Bay. Spend an hour and a half or two in this area.

From there, it is about a 25 minute drive, more or less, to Hog Heaven, also mentioned above. This would give you a great spot for lunch perched above the North Sound area. On the way back, you should have time for a dip at Savannah Bay (again, no crowds), also mentioned above. I believe all of that can be done in four hours and it does give you a fairly good feel for what Virgin Gorda has to offer.

ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip

Thanks everyone! Are the Bath's REALLY crowded? I have heard that even some charters don't like to go there because of the crowds. I, myself, hate that kind of beaching.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip

Difficult to define "really crowded". I am going to send you a PM

ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip

Great ideas from all of you. Points make that I hadn't thought about. Thanks. We are so looking forward to seeing VG. By all means it would be a crime not to st least stop at the Baths for awhile. We are explorers and want to seeit all if we can. I know it will be a tease, but a tease it will have to be.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip

Lots of helpful advise from all of the comments above. If a cruise ship is at Road Town, Tortola, then the Baths will definitely be crowded. If there is not a cruise ship, then the only persons at the Baths will be folks who are staying on VG, or chartering a boat. Once you walk through the Baths, you are at Devil's Bay, a reasonably large beach. As noted, there are a number of very beautiful, soft white sand beaches just north of the Baths. Also near the Baths are the Copper Mine Ruins - doesn't take very long to see them, but they are of significant historical interest.

Depending on how much time you spend on the southern part of VG, you may be pushed to do the lovely drive to North Sound (breath taking views on either side of the road in places, with a couple of pull offs) and/or eat in that area. With a couple of pull offs, the round trip drive from the southern part of VG to Leverick Bay and then back to the ferry dock will take about an hour. The Chef's Pantry at Leverick Bay makes excellent deli sandwiches. Or, in Spanish Town, Buck's in the VG Yacht Harbour sells some food items to go.

If you end up staying longer on the southern part of VG, then you may prefer to catch your breath and eat a more leisurely lunch, at the Top of Baths, Mad Dog, or, near the Coopermine Ruins, The Mine Shaft Cafe:

http://youtu.be/KgApeEu5zxE

I suggest keeping your options open and have flexibility....

Enjoy the Virgin Islands, alashas

http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

ohio
Level Contributor
146 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip

I am going to have a hard time leaving this place I can tell! Love the video. Can't wait to get in the water. Thanks everyone!