We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

We always eat dinner at The Mine Shaft Cafe on VG during our trips to VG. The food is delicious, the staff is very friendly, as well as a lot of fun, and it boasts some of the best sunsets on VG. It is also near the Cooper Mine Ruins and we also visit them before dinner. Get there early for the best seats. I prepared this brief video that might interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgApeEu5zxE

http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Thank you for the video, alashas. You got the tree chickens as well!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Agreed. I had a lobster there the size of a small car. The miniature golf is fun after a couple of cocktails. :)

B.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Absolutely fabulous footage of the chickens nesting in the trees at The Mine Shaft!!! The food was tasty but those chickens were the most unique feature of the place. We knew we were in the right place when we saw the executive chef from our property, Little Dix, dining with his wife and some friends on his night off. LOL!

Thanks so much for sharing your footage from the Mine Shaft. You captured the whole venue including the putt putt course when you enter. It really reawakened memories of an incredible trip to the US and British Virgins! Next time, I'll have to look for the man with the green parrot so that he can sit on my shoulder too. ;~>

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Thanks, everyone, for your comments, I thought this video would be entertaining, esp. for those who've experienced a great time at The Mine Shaft Cafe!

Booyakasha, we prefer to play the putt-putt before the cocktails, lol

lucianmermaid, that is John Knauss with the parrot. He doesn't work at the Mine Shaft, but manages some of the properties on VG. Small world, but John lived in Dayton, Ohio for years and is best friends with my first cousin who still lives in Dayton...

bon appetit, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Many thanks Alahas for sharing John Knauss' s name and information with me! The green parrot is the national bird of St. Lucia, so I'd really love to have a photo with one sitting on my shoulder as you and your friends did. LOL!

Next time we'll plan to arrive earlier to play the putt putt course as well with our cocktails. I wish I had a video of our trip thorough the caves at The Baths. VG is really a lovely island.

Safe travels wherever you're headed in 2013! ;~>

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

You are welcome, lucianmermaid, I didn't know the green parrot is the national bird of St. Lucia, one of your favorite islands! IIRC, the parrots belonged to Chef Puck of the Flying Iguana Restaurant that used to be adjacent to the VG airport. Here is my daughter, Amy, with several of the parrots at that restaurant on an earlier trip:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-2008-Jan/4164199_FbPjDm#!i=243156644&k=59mrBxL

The restaurant closed when the airport expanded, and I don't think it has re-opened.

By the way, I have a video of a walk through the Baths, but I haven't edited it yet. Windows Movie Maker starting freezing up on my PC, and I didn't make any videos for quite some time. I love Imovie on my new Imac, but have been playing catch up on videos for nearly a yr...

Not certain of our travel plans yet for this year. I am overdue to go scuba diving sometime this Spring, and will probably visit Iona in Sept. St. Lucia has been on our short list for years. So many islands, so little time....lol....

Richmond, Virginia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

Very entertaining, reminds us of a lot of good times at The Mine Shaft Cafe! Looking forward to your video on the Baths....

8. Re: Mine Shaft Cafe, delicious food & some of best sunsets on VG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda