We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours on VG

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours on VG

Husband and I big snorkelers. Staying at Mahoe Bay. Will have rental car. Any other great snorkels within close distance to where we are staying? Also best way to get back to St. John on a Friday.

Mentioned in this post
Mahoe Bay
Mahoe Bay
17 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours on VG

Mahoe Bay has some of the best "walk-in" snorkeling on the island. Other places to visit are Savannah Bay, Mountain Trunk Bay and Nail Bay (all within about a mile or so of Mahoe Bay). Also consider Spring Bay and the Baths at the southern end of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Mahoe Bay
Mahoe Bay
17 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Savannah Bay
Savannah Bay
251 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Nail Bay
Nail Bay
Virgin Gorda
Spring Bay
Spring Bay
244 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
The Baths
The Baths
Virgin Gorda
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours on VG

Sorry, forgot to address your travel question. I don't think there's any scheduled ferry service between VG and St. John on Fridays. You can check ferry schedules here but I doubt you'll find anything: www.bestofbvi.com/info/info_bviferry.htm

You'll probably have to fly on Air Sunshine (www.airsunshine.com) to St. Thomas than make your way by ferry to St. John or hire a private water taxi to go between VG and St, John.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours on VG

I would add Long Bay as well into the good list CaribSurfer gave you.

Depends on what time you want to leave VG on a Friday, but you catch a ferry from West End Tortola to St John on a Friday at 9:15, 12:15, and 5:15. Here is the schdule for ferries from VG to Tortola, Road Town:

bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_tortola.htm

You would have to ferry into Road Town and then take a cab to West End to catch the ferry to St John. Cab costs $27.00 for first person, $14.00 for second, and $12.00 for each person after that. Takes about 20-25 minutes. This sounds convoluted, but I have done it and it is really very easy.

Mentioned in this post
Long Bay
Long Bay
32 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
West End
West End
Tortola
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Road Town
Road Town
Tortola
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours on VG

shnude1, We do a lot of snorkeling and diving in the Caribbean, and think that the snorkeling at Mahoe is some of the best in the Caribbean from shore. Mahoe has a double reef system and the outer reef tends to keep the inner reef fairly "clean" with pretty good visibility, depending on the wave action. If you take a look at this picture and the one after it, you can see the wave cresting on the outer reef:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Underwater/Virgin-Gorda-Mahoe-Bay-Snorkel/10282412_MGNGMw#!i=710011598&k=ccPzx

The 2 photos before this same photo show the inner reef from a shot on the road past Mahoe to Nail Bay. Most of the reef system north, past Mahoe, are going to have that similar inner reef system.

We often see turtles at Mahoe, and I swam with the largest school of blue tang I've ever seen in the Caribbean at Mahoe:

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

Mahoe is one of the few places on VG where you can also shore dive, and most of the photos in this album are from a dive we did to the outer edge of the inner reef, in 10 to 15 ft of water:

For variety the rocks and boulders at the Baths and southern beaches are a good place to snorkel, but there is not a lot of coral on that part of the island.

The nearby "Dog Islands" have a very healthy reef system, and I'd encourage you to check Dive BVI's schedule, They accommodate snorkelers, and you'll see a lot of colorful coral.

Great Dog

Chimney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qypKMSmbqU

Most of the snorkel videos on this site are Mahoe, and the huge school of tang, as well as the turtle photos and the squid photos in the "Peaceful Warriors" Underwater in the BVI video are at Mahoe:

http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Enjoy your trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2friends

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Nail Bay
Nail Bay
Virgin Gorda
The Baths
The Baths
Virgin Gorda
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours on VG

The beaches mentioned offer good off-the-beach snorkeling and you'll find plenty more on St John. But you'd have to travel to the Seychelles to find anything like the boulder beaches on the southern part of the island. The caves at the Baths are quite rare and very wonderful and the boulder beaches are breath-taking. The Baths are really the premier attraction on VG. Since you're visiting you may want to have a look to see what all the fuss is about.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
The Baths
The Baths
Virgin Gorda
ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours on VG

bellman, you know I agree with you. Having spent a good deal of time in that area of the island now, I really appreciate the play of light and shadows during different times of the day. It is really a photographer's dream.

7. Re: 24 hours on VG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda