We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers coming in September. Hit us with your best shots!

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norristown...
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timers coming in September. Hit us with your best shots!

Hello fellow Forumites! My wife and I are coming to VG in September for 10 days, and we want to know...well...everything. I have already had a number of helpful exchanges with ACB and have read/looked at numerous posts from Boston Tia & alashas, but we'd love to hear from anyone who has anything they want to share. Some basic background: We're staying at a Guavaberry rental. We are avid snorkelers, in decent shape for our age, but do not dive. We will have a car and we like to explore. Probably the only meals we'll eat at the villa will be a few breakfasts, and we have a tendency to skip or go real light on lunch, so would like dinner & breakfast recommendations moreso than lunch - in particular, since we'll be getting in kind of late on travel day, would really appreciate a 1st night dinner tip. That's all I can think of right now. If supplying any more info would help, please let me know.

Thanks! Smilin' Jack

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers coming in September. Hit us with your best shots!

HI Jack-

Our first night dinner tradition is always the Mineshaft- there's nothing like Jinx's (the owner) Planter's Punch or Painkiller to end a long travel day ( Not saying anything yet about the fabulous wings, ribs, fish, sandwiches, roti, or everything really). He's actually traveled internationally for cocktail competitions and won quite a bit I believe! If you are truly daring, try a "Fire in the Hole" shot! As always, things can be on island time, so be prepared it's not always ready as quick as you may like it (in all VG restaurants this is true, some more than others.)

Mineshaft is our personal favorite (it's not fancy, just good homemade food). My husband and I actually hosted our wedding reception/party for 35 guests there in 2009. It was a blast! Other good restuarants are Tops of the Baths (good choice for lunch after visiting the Baths), MadDog Cafe/Bar (also right at "top of the Baths" Great for lunch, they are only open until 5pm. All outside seating at random picnic tables, hammocks, stools, etc. We like going there for early Happy Hour or sometimes even very early dinner- it's only sandwiches (very basic) but somehow they taste great in that environment. You will have chickens hanging around while you eat.

For a nice dinner my choices would be "The Rock Cafe" which is mostly Italian, but has a great environment with table set in amongst boulders. There is a new restarant that just opened in June on the waterfront next to Fisher's Cove hotel, I haven't been there yet (we will be on island next in Oct) but I hear it is very good and is tapas/Asian type food. Giorgio's Table is also good, but very expensive and a bit farther since it in the Mango Bay Resort area. More casual but still a good and diverse menu for dinner or for lunch is the Bath and Turtle in the courtyard of the yatcharbor. The also have Pizza. (not like NY pIzza, but pretty good).

Breakfast-- I've honestly never done breakfast out in VG- we always buy staples from the foodstores (which are great) Bucks, Rosies or the SupaValu and do breakfast in. I'm not sure which of the restarants do breakfast- I believe that Mad Dog Cafe which you can walk to from Guavaberry does though. Fisher's Cove also would since they are part of the hotel.

The problem you will face in Sept is that many of the restarants, especially those in the North Sounds (Leverick Bay, Biras Creek, Saba Rock, Bitter End) are typically closed during this time for the "off season". A few might be open, I believe most are closed for the whole month- the great thing about Guavaberry is that Tina and Michelle will know or make phone calls to check out anything you are interested in. They will help you with reservations also if needed. In Septmeber though, you won't need them for most places. You'll be shocked by how empty the island is. Most places won't have the entertianment or music they have the rest of the year since it is off season. You;ll probably run into some restarants that have limited menus this time of year also, but it's never been a major problem for us.

As far as snorkeling- there is some good snorkeling out and around the rocks if you go to the left from the beach at Guavaberry- but don't go that far unless you are a good swimmer as you can get pushed against rocks by tide if you're not careful. If you go to the right, it is slightly easier swim in my opinion, but long to go all way to Little Trunk Bay(next "sandy" area that is easy to swim to land to for some people. Or just snorkel around in the cove. I've seen turtles, sting rays, and all kinds of fish right there over the years.

Other good beaches for snorkeling are Long Bay (all way past Nail Bay resort) or Savannah. Definitly Hike Gorda Peak if you can- (in 10 days you should have time). Get up and do it early in the AM to avoid the heat. As you take the road towards North Sound, You can park your car right on the side of the road by the sign for Gorda Peak (you'll see a staircase going into the mountain also). There are two entrances- The first one will give you a longer hike, the second one a shorter one (I usually do the shorter- which is still 30 min or so.)

AH! That's alot of info! Are you sorry you asked now? lol.... You will love the island and Guavaberry! Anything else, just ask!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers coming in September. Hit us with your best shots!

Bvi baby, great info!!

Top of the Baths has breakfast. Don't forget the island pot for BBQ. It is within walking distance from where you are staying.

Check out the l&m bakery too, good for breakfast pastries.

Dixie's, the islands KFC, also has breakfast.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timers coming in September. Hit us with your best shots!

Lots of good advice for you, Jack, and the folks at GSB are great! Keep in mind that they have a well stocked commissary that is available for your 24 x 7:

http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/Vacation/Virgin-Gorda-Guavaberry-Spring/8098343_WFfVBg#!i=531695680&k=m6EDp

Glad to hear you like snorkeling, there is some very good to excellent snorkeling at the southern beaches near you:

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

And I am a big fan of the double reef system at Mahoe Bay:

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

Most of the snorkel videos here are Mahoe:

http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Enjoy your trip, alashas

4. Re: 1st Timers coming in September. Hit us with your best shots!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 05, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda