We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

Hello, My family and I will be in Virgin Gorda from July 7th to July 17th. We are staying in Mahoe Bay and plan to spend a good amount of time just hanging out there and relaxing.

We do want to head out and explore some. What are some good day excursions to take? I'm thinking we could head to Tortola for the day - maybe to swim with the dolphins. I also saw that there is a rum distillery - which I am interested in.

What are some good day excursions that aren't terribly expensive that my family would enjoy? I think we'll be satisfied snorkeling in Mahoe Bay, but I would like to check out some other islands, maybe shop a little, find some nice beaches to hang out at and have a drink or two, find some things for my 7 and 9 year old boys to enjoy...

What would be a good day itinerary for Tortola (we would need to go back to Virgin Gorda to sleep) be? What other islands and activities would you recommend?

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
727 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

Dive BVI does an Anegada day trip that could be a lot of fun.

Southern California
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

Is there a place where there are a lot of iguanas, snakes, or other reptilian wildlife? My older son is really into reptiles. He also likes amphibians and insects.

Edited: 1:16 pm, June 01, 2012
Southern California
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

..And if you had a choice of one island to go to for the day (except Tortola since we are going there anyway), which would you choose? Anegada looks cool, but I've also seen posts about people going to Peter and Cooper island. Which would you choose?

Boston
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

I would recommend going to Anegada for the day. You can take the ferry there or a boat trip. But, we tried to do a boat trip and the other people did not show up so they did not go because they did not have a minimum number which is a risk during low season.

If you go to Tortola, I would not recommend the dolphin swim. If you search on the BVI forum for this, you will see lots of reasons why.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

Check with Bitter End about their trip to Anegada as well. There used to be (assume it's still there) an iguana rescue facility over there for your son. You can also see flamingos in the wild as well as great beaches at Loblolly Bay and Cow Wreck Bay. In my personal opinion, a much better trip than Peter or Cooper.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

Sorry I am late on this, we just got back from a family vacation in South Dakota. Had a blast touring National parks/monuments, caving, hiking, etc.

Dive BVI offers some of the best deals in inexpensive day trips. They do a 1/2 day dive/snorkel (mixed group) that includes two sites and lunch at the Willie T for $60.00pp. You can also join in a late afternoon dive/snorkel trip out to the Dogs for around $30.00pp.

http://www.divebvi.com/

I agree with the Anegada comments and would highly recommend the ferry and a rental car for a good, fun day. Cow Wreck has one of my favorite beach bars in the Caribbean on a beautiful stretch of beach. Not a whole lot of shopping but there is a really good local pottery shop, Pat's Pottery, that is worth visiting. Here is a list of other stores:

bestofbvi.com/info/bvi_shopping/anegada.htm

7. Re: Day Trips from Virgin Gorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 21, 2013