We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

Trying to determine whether my husband and I should stay at Guavaberry or Mango Bay Resort for best snorkeling off shore?

Door County WI
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

We enjoyed Mountain Trunk (Nail Bay) last week. Spring was too rough.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

The snorkeling in Mahoe Bay (where Mango Bay Resort is located) is some of the best on the island. There's a "double reef" system which begins about 50' from shore and runs the entire length of the bay. I've snorkeled there for hours on end. Spring bay is nice but it doesn't hold a candle to Mahoe Bay.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

We stay at Spring Bay most every trip and spend a vast majority of our awake time snorkeling. I think the snorkeling at Spring is underrated. There is a lot of sealife going south towards the Baths. Last summer we saw considerably more fish in the area between Spring Bay and the Baths then we saw anywhere else on the island. The fact that you can snorkel all the way to the Baths and beyond to Devils Bay is very nice, especially if you want to visit the Baths when it is less crowded. We also prefer the visual topography of that part of the island. The Mahoe-Nail Bay area is really pretty. The Southwest part of the island is unique. Spring Bay has usually been placid when we visit, between May and July.

I concur on the recommendation of Mountain Trunk as well, and also like Long Bay (just north of Nail Bay and usually deserted). I have also had some very good snorkels at the reef at Savannah/Pond.

All that being said, CaribSurfer is correct: Mahoe has an amazing reef that would be considered a top notch shore snorkel anywhere in the Caribbean.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

Just curious, do you guys wear any safety devices while snorkeling?

I snorkel from shore, but I am afraid to go out too far. I am a good swimmer, but I get a little scarred going out too far. I am also afraid of running into the really big fish.

If you do wear something what is it? Also, you have to be careful of boaters.

Thanks

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

If you are concerned buy a inflatable snorkel vest. They are available at any dive shop or on line. That way if you feel you need some floatation you can blow it up if not it pretty much stays out of the way.

You have no worries with big fish. It is touching coral, jellies etc.... i.e the small stuff that can hurt you. :)

B.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

HI Booyakasha120,

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering what everyone else does.

I have snorkeled underneath the Mermaid Bar & Grill near Fischer's Cove in Virgin Gorda and I saw Tarpin that were about 2+ feet in lenght. It was kind of scarry seeing them because I didn't know what they were at first.

The Mermaid Bar & Grill is the restaurant set out on pilings in the water. I like sticking close to the reefs at the other end of the beach where the reef is, much smaller and prettier fish there.

There are some breakers out further and I am reluctant to go out there because of the distance and the big fish. Sharks have also been known to show up in this area, probably a nurse shark, but still makes me scared. They throw bait off the pier and it always attracts the big fish.

Anyone else have any experience seeing the big boys out in the water?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

As I get older and my endurance drops, I keep thinking about trying out some sort of flotation device. I haven't actually done so yet, but if I do, I think I'll try out a belt rather than a vest.

While the snorkeling is probably "better" at Nail, Mahoe or Savannah Bays, we're really entranced by the boulder beaches. I love being in the caves. We're happy to drive to other beaches to snorkel but I want to wake up and see boulders. There are beaches much like Nail, Mahoe and Savannah elsewhere in the Caribbean, but I'd have to travel to the Seychelles to find anything like the boulder beaches on the southern part of VG.

And for our tastes, Guavaberry is absolutely fine. Although if we go again, I want to stay in the Beach House. I really think that would be one of the most perfect places in the world for us.

Door County WI
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

I agree with Bellman about the boulder theory. But you can stay anywhere on the island, it is just a matter of how much you want to drive. I really liked Little Trunk.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

I don't use any devices currently but I agree with bellman - when the time comes, I would use a belt.

I like the really big fish. Use to snorkel a few places on St John - Blue Cobblestone, Ditliff, and Mary Point come to mind - that would get very deep and you would start to see the big pelagics. Everything from giant groupers to decent size sharks would hang out there. Got to see some big critters on the ocean side of the reef at Anegada last year. It was awesome!

Tia, you should have been with us last year out at George Dog with Spirit of Anegada. There are a couple of barracuda out there, the biggest of which is a monster. My (then) seven year old had his first real snorkel out there that day in water between 15 and 30 ft deep. We get back to the boat and Captain Keith had tossed a couple of things in to attract fish. The big barracuda was also attracted. I could hear my son making sounds with the snorkel in his mouth. Then he started motioning to the barracuda. I realized he was calling the barracuda like he would one of our dogs. He got close enough to the 'barracuda so you could easily see that the two of them were about the same length. "Calling the 'cuda"...I'll never forget that one.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better snorkeling at Mango or Spring Bay

If you want to see the big ones you have to SCUBA. Hammerheads, White tips, black tips, Caribbean reef and Bull sharks show up every so often.

B.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda