We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

The days we are going dont match up with the ferry's to VG and I dont have enough airline miles to fly to Puerto Rico. So basically, flying to ST is the best way. It is $500 round trip for the both of us together so I guess we are spending $340 more than those that use the Ferry's. Anybody ever use them? Dependable and safe? I saw a note on their website that they can give a boat ride if the VG airport is shut down for weather. Thanks!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

Carnell, We've flown AS several times from SJU to VG, but not from STT. You might want to contact AS directly to see if they have direct flights to VG. Scroll down to read the announcement on the AS website:

http://www.airsunshine.com/VQS-VIJ.htm

If I understand the announcement correctly, when the airport reopened on VG, the size of the planes were restricted, I believe to 8 passenger planes, and AS's entire fleet of Cessna 402C are 9 passenger planes. So, if they still claim to operate flights to VG, AS will probably fly to EIS on Tortola and ferry passengers to VG. I believe charter planes of 8 passengers or less are able to fly to VG.

I have heard that there is discussion of enlarging the airport on VG so that larger planes can land there, but I do not know the result of those talks.

All the best, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

Also, don't discount using the ferry to Tortola and then a ferry to VG. I have done that method and it is not as awful as it sounds. It will save you quite a bit of money but it is a time sucking process. We actually enjoyed it though because it allowed us to hang out in Road Town a bit

Phila
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

Hello.

We flew Air Sunshine from San Juan (SJU) to Tortola (EIS) last week. We were going to Virgin Gorda and you have to take a ferry unless you fly in on a private jet that is small enough to land in Virgin Gorda. Their plane was small but we didn't have any problems. They ask you how much you weigh when you check in so they can balance the plane. They assign seats according to your size. We only had 6 passengers on the way down and 4 on the way back.

I made the mistake of putting EIS as our final destination on Air Sunshine's reservation form thinking that was the final airport we would arrive in. I should have put Virgin Gorda on the form so they would have had a ferry available when we arrived.

Instead we wasted at least an hour or more waiting for their complimentary ferry to leave which never did. We ended up paying $22 per person for the public ferry over to VG.

By that time our rental car pick up was not longer waiting for us. Someone was nice enough to call them for us and they arrived quickly.

So I would use them again, just fill out the form correctly.

Have a good. time.

Ridgefield, CT
Level Contributor
6 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

Air sunshine ferries to vg from eis. Commercial flights restricted into vg. we did not have a good experience with air sunshine.

5. Re: Anybody ever use Air Sunshine to fly from St. Thomas to VG?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, March 01, 2013