We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

We are thinking of visiting VG in late April/early May, and are torn between Nail Bay and Guavaberry. Both places looks amazing... with Nail Bay looking nicer inside the villas. My concerns with Nail Bay is the road... although we find it somewhat of an adventure to Jeep down dirt roads, I am a little concerned about traversing the road after dark. .. is this really a problem? At Guavaberry, my main concern is the crowds, I know that the Baths are a big tourist attraction, and being from NYC, we kind of want to get away from the crowds on our vacation....is it very crowded in the Guavaberry area?

thanks in advance.

NJ
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

RandyS

Much thanks for taking time to post back details - will look for the trip report. Will it be posted here in this forum?

Pls also advise where your pics will be posted. That Nikon looks like a sweet camera. I'm a Canon guy making due with a Powershot for now (actually pretty amazing for a point and shoot) but would like a digital SLR.

How would Giorgios be for lunch vs. dinner?

Would Mine Shaft be at least OK for drinks and apps to enjoy sunset?

Pretty easy to find and access all of those beaches you mentioned? Give me a decent map and I can find/get to anything on it, but I havent found a real detailed VG map...

JMQ

Overland Park, KS
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

Trip report will be posted as a review of Fischer's Cove, so you'll need to look for it under the "Virgin Gorda Hotels" of this fine website.

I love the Nikon D70. But actually, I think what I'm saying is that I love digital SLR's. Canon's digital SLR's are fine cameras also - I just had a bunch of Nikon lenses. It's going to take me a little while to get the pic's posted because I shoot them in "RAW" mode so I can tweak them later. I'll mass process a group of them to JPEG and 640x480 and get them posted.

As for Giorgio's for lunch/dinner, While we were only there for dinner, I'd go out of my way to go there for grilled cheese sandwich's at 4:00 in the morning - it's that good. But again, be prepared to flex that VISA muscle.

I read many positive reviews about the Mine Shaft. We just had a bad experience there and it happened to be our only bad experience on the island. But you know, there are little things you pick up on that we noticed there that have led me to not wanting to go back. As for the location, watching sunsets on the elevated deck are to die for. Simply spectacular. If I were you, I'd go there and check it out for yourself. Just be a tad skeptical.

While the island is small, having your own transportation is, in my opinion, essential. In about 2 hours, you'll know the island like the back of your hand. They'll give you a map when you get to the airport, and give you another one when you rent a car (we got our's from Speedy and I highly recommend them - fast, friendly, great car). Be adventurous! There's no way to get in trouble or lost on this island. If you can't find something, stop and ask someone - everyone is very, very friendly.

Take a look at this URL, it's a pretty good map:

www.skyviews.com/bvi/virgingorda/map.html

NJ
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

Randy - the nice folks at Guavaberry are arranging for a Vitara from Mahogany rentals. Have heard good stuff about them too. I'm sure I'll be able to get around OK - just like having a good map handy (thanks for link).

Looking forward to getting up to North end for Friday nite BBQ at Leverick Bay. Also have heard that you can hitch a ride on one of the afternoon small snorkel boats that Biras runs @$10pp for non guests.

We did a daysail last year from St. John to Roadtown, then snorkeled the Indians and Caves. Was intrigued enuff to give BVIs a whirl so we'll be on VG from a Thursday thru Monday (after 8 days on St. John - doing another daysail from Coral Bay of USVI waters), enuff to get a taste of VG (not enuff time for a BVI daysail), then flying out of VG on one of the Air Sunshine Cessnas to SJU (that flight should be bit of white knuckle adventure).

Photography wise, looking forward to using a Canon underwater housing with the Powershot this time and being walking distance to the Baths and Spring and Devils Bay for "magic hour" photo ops.

If you havent already, check out the "photobook" options of the on line developers. For $30-40 you can create an amazing hardcover bound photo book with captions that will amaze your friends and family and be a wonderful keepsake and coffee table book. I have used shutterfly.com and mypublisher.com and will never get any 4x6s printed again.

NJ
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

Correction - that short daily snorkel excursion would be out of Bitter End, NOT Biras.

Overland Park, KS
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

It's just starting to sound too familiar JMQ :)

We rented a Vitara also, ours had 1800 miles on it. It worked out great. We drove it hard for 6 days and used about 1/3 of a tank of gas (point - small island).

Like I said above, if we had to do it all over again, I'd do one of the snorkel charters like you mentioned. I'm sure it will be great.

We flew from/to SJU on Air Sunshine. I'm sure you'll have the same pilot that we did. Nice guy - been flying charters in and around the VI's for 35 years. The flights were a piece of cake. My daughter even got to sit in the co-pilot seat on the return. He pointed out all the islands and chatted the whole way. He was like a tour guide :)

When you go to Spring Bay, here's the deal. You'll easily find the parking lot as it's well marked. There is a path that leads to the water (about a 3 minute walk) and this put's you at something called "The Crawl". Pretty neat place, like a big swimming pool. To your right is Little (then Big) Trunk Bay. To your left and around a corner is Spring Bay. Go see both - they're awesome. Right at the corner between The Crawl and Sping Bay beach there is a HUGE boulder perched up high sitting on some flat rocks. Be sure and snorkel under that boulder. We saw turtles, eels, large schools of colorful fish, a small group of squid swimming in formation, etc., etc. I took some underwater shots I'll get scanned and post. It was spectacular and right off the beach. Hard to beat that. Beware lots and lots and lots of Sea Urchins, so wear some watersocks or snorkel/dive boots under your fins.

I'll post a pic of the boulder I'm talking about, you won't be able to miss it.

By the way, the "Fischer's Cove" post is up. Its at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147358-d148…

NJ
Level Contributor
196 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

Randy - Very nice report there and helpful hints here too. I wrote reviews last April on Estate Lindholm on STJ and Secret Harbour on STT. Least you can do if your rely on the site for research.

Cool to hear more nice things about AirSunshine. Really can't wait now.

Thanks for warnings on sea urchins. Wife slipped at entry to Waterlemon on STJ last yr and stuck her hand on one = no fun. I use the booties with a full foot fin, so have some protection.

Any jellyfish or sea lice now? (daughter has sensitive skin) Water probably not warm enuff - I know BVIs can be prone to them in summer with high water temps like they had last year.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

Thirteen of us are going to be staying at Loblolly Villa in Mahoe Bay this June. We would like to eat out a couple of nights that week and wonder if there are any good restaurants with reasonable prices. I have checked out different web sites, and the few that give the price on the menu seem pretty expensive. Thanks.

Caribnut

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nail Bay vs Guavaberry

We are a group of thirteen that will be staying at the villas at Mahoe Bay. I have been checking websites for dinning and the few restaurants that mention the prices seemed pretty "expensive". Does anyone have a couple of restaurants where the food is very good, of course, but the prices are more reasonable? Our group has teenagers and two youngsters. Thanks for any suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda