We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

Well just a few more weeks until our trip to VG with the baggage costs I'd like to not have to check any or just one at most. Our fins take up a lot of room and are too large for the carry on case. Can you get away without fins in VG at most sites? I can't recall from our last visit if we felt we needed fins. Anyone have any thoughts?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

I guess that's up to you, but snorkeling a large reef like Mahoe or a extensive boulder area like the Baths pretty much demands fins in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
The Baths
The Baths
Virgin Gorda
Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

Don't take them. You can rent fins on the island for as low as $7 per day. Some resorts/villas provide them free of charge to their guests.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

We always bring our masks and snorkels and rent fins once we get where we're going. I can always find a pair of fins that I'm happy with. On VG we stayed at Guavaberry and rented fins from them. I'd guess that Dive BVI would probably rent just fins. I don't remember what we paid, but it's always seemed cheap.

I've always worn fins to snorkel. One day a few years ago I was getting a blister and decided I'd snorkel without the fins. I was amazed at how much work it is without fins. I hadn't realized just what they'd been doing for me. I wrapped up the blister and put the fins back on.

Mentioned in this post
Dive BVI
Dive BVI
285 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

Thanks for the input. I saw an old thread mention Aqua Sphere ZipFins as being very good and much smaller so I'm thinking of that as an option also.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

relaxed,

I'm a big fan of fins, but I like to snorkel for 1 to 2 hrs at a time. My wife likes to snorkel for 1/2 hr or so and sometimes wears fins and sometimes does not. If packing your own is an issue, Dive BVI, with shops at Spanish Town and Leverick Bay, also rents fins.

I've posted some snorkeling and diving videos of our May trip here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

Have a great trip, alashas

Mentioned in this post
Dive BVI
Dive BVI
285 Reviews
Virgin Gorda
Spanish Town
Spanish Town
Virgin Gorda
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

Thanks!

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

That's a good idea. One trip to St. John, we decided not to bring snorkel equipment for our son. Over the course of two weeks, it cost a lot more to rent them than it did to purchase them in the first place!

virginia beach, va
Level Contributor
121 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

I bought smaller fins - look like little duck feet -- give me a great push in the water and aren't as heavy or difficult to walk in -- you might try those. they are made by aqua lung sport. I always take all my gear, usually in my carry-on. I saw squid for the first time at Devil's Bay.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

You need fins to snorkel. If you are going to rent them they can be costly and crappy. You have to weigh the cost of renting vs checking a bag. Like other said they make some really light (less than 2 lbs) fins so weight is not really an issue.

B.

ShAGA518
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you get away without snorkel fins ?

you really dont need them unless you are a great free diver. I snorkel all over the place in current and open water. I feel much safer with fins on but if you are snorkeling off the beach or basically anywhere in the BVI they are not neccisary. If you are going deeper and freediving then they are definitly neccisary for getting deep.

Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda