We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

Which Virgin Gorda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

Planning a trip for next Feb....first flight arrives in San Juan at 12:30 and Air Sunshine leaves for Virgin Gorda at 2:30...will this be enough time? I know it says to show up 90 minutes beforehand, (and they mean it), but what if we're a few minutes late?

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
518 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

Who are you flying in on? We flew in on Jet Blue and it was a relatively short walk to the counter but I hear that AA lands at the farther terminal and it's a haul.

Also, if you don't have checked luggage (carry-on) it'll be faster and you'll have a better chance making it. Air Sunshine is pretty lax about their reservations . . . I would think that if you don't make one flight they'd throw you on the next if there's room (we were put on an earlier flight cause there was room!?!)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

First, let me say I loved Air Sunshine. We got to talk to the pilot and the owner while waiting for the runway in San Juan to be cleared of iguanas. Many regular passengers know the pilot by name.

Second, they do sometimes try to leave up to an hour early. I don't know if they ever succeed. Call their toll free number and ask. It will be a scramble because you have to pick up your checked bags. Can you manage with carry-on to San Juan?

Also, note the 40-lb limit for checked bags--it is a tiny airplane.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

Hopefully they will have worked out the kinks in their new "Customs Desk Arrival" service. bvibeacon.com/main/index.php…

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

LoveCBG, that is classic.

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

I would definitely go for it with 2 hours.

Ontario
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

The problem really can be delays. In Feb. we flew Ottawa, Canada, ( flight delayed for de-icing ) to Newark, thinking we would miss our connection, but ( fortunately?) that flight was delayed by 1 1/2 hours. Arrived in San Juan late and would have missed our Air Sunshine flight..BUT it all didn`t matter because we had anticipated ( correctly as it turned out) problems and had decided to stay in San Juan for 2 nights on our way to VG. That way we could take an early morning flight to VG and enjoy our first day there to the fullest!!

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

yes, I'm thinking about staying in San Juan the night before to be safe!

Boston
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

LBMcG

For those of us that use Air Sunshine it's nickname is "Air Anytime. I noted in other forum posts to this forum you are staying in the Leverick Bay area. If you have not purchased tickets on Air Sunshine you might want to consider flying to Tortola and taking the North Sound Ferry which will deposit you at Leverick Bay.

In any case you should have enough time to get to Air Sunshine and if you miss the 2:30 flight there is one at 5PM.

If you decide to stay in San Juan there is a hotel at the airport.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

In February, I think the 5:00 flight lands in Tortola--the Virgin Gorda Airport is sunrise to sunset only.

Ontario
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Sunshine...will I have enough time?

If (When?) we do the trip again, we would do it the same way. Far more relaxing, and if you begrudge that you could have made the Air Sunshine flight, spending 2 nights in San Juan allows you to spend a day exploring Old San Juan and El Morro ( the fort) or tour the Bacardi factory and then... arrive in VG in the morning. Quite spectacular!! If driving on the left side of the road is an concern, you can practise in the daylight!!