We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

OMP
Madrid
8 posts
Save Topic
LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

Hi.

I'm planning to book a room at the LDB for august as part of my honeymoon trip.

However, I have gone thru the web ( which is the only way to get prices), and comparing the different opstions, it comes up to this:

7 nights "normal" rate for garden view room with special "B&B package" ( free of charge) is 3235 $, taxes included. No Tortola-VG transport

7 nights "American plan", which ADDS dinning ( since breakfast is included), is 4495$, taxes included. No Tortola-VG transport.

7 nights "FULL American plan", which ADDS to previous one lunch is 4775 $, taxes included. No Tortola-VG transport.

And then, Romance Package, which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus gifts ( which we don't really care), adds the romantic dinner at the beach ( which could be fun) and sail journey ( which I personally don't like since I don't really like the sea, althought I love the beach), is 5000 $, taxes included. Transport to-from Tortola is also included.

OK, so NOW: I see that between the first "basic" package and the second one "Half American" let's say, the difference in price is: 1260 $, which is basically dinner......

Between the second and third, difference is: 270 $, which I find very competitive

And then, from third to last, is 225, which considering the sail journey and gifts, AND transports to-from Tortola is reasonable...

So here I go:

1) When talking meals at the LDB ( lunch/dinner): Are drinks included in any case, or meals are ALWAYS ONLY meals????

2) Considering option number 1, which I find very competitive:

a) Is there "ANYTHING" around the hotel to eat ( and eat well). Are there any places near?? With the difference, maybe renting a car could be interesting in order to do some excursions, and use it to eat outside sometimes...

and

b) How much is a normal lunch or dinner at the LDB??? Considering that 1260 between first and second option is 180 $ per day for dinner.....How are prices???

3) Considering also doing some excursions to other islands around, we would loose some of the meals.....

Can you do some "life" out of the resort????

I know these questions can look a little akward and hard to answer, but I hope you get the idea.

Idea is for 2 33 and 34 newly married looking for beach as principal activity ( sunbathing, swiming, having a cold beer relaxing) and then some activities ( could visiting something for an entire day or part of it).......

Thanks a lot reall. Looking forward to get there....

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

OMP,

Ok. I will help you with what I can here. We have been to LDB twice in the last few years - last time was last month. My husband and I are 33 so we are probably on the same wavelength as you.

First, I wouldn't do a package that included anything but breakfast. The food at LDB is very good, but you can eat very well around the island too and it would be a shame not to explore a bit. And they make it easy - there are very nice guys waiting at the taxi stand to take you anywhere you want to go and they will pick you up at a designated time or a quick call. Everyone knows everyone there so you tell a bartender to call Tyrone with the taxi and he'll be there in 3 minutes. Like you said, you will also want to see other islands. There are a handful of restaurants everyone goes to and we had good experiences at all of them.

Top of the Baths - great for lunch when you go to the Baths

The Rock Cafe - great food and fun piano bar

Chez Bamboo - word is it is Morgan Freeman's fave on the island and we liked it too.

Georgio's Table - expensive but good italian. A little farther away.

Mine Shaft - great sunsets and food. Look for the tree climbing chickens.

Biras Creek - You have to make reservations and their boat will pick you up at Gun Creek Marina but excellent food and views.

If you decide to go to Tortola, we had the best meal by far at Brandywine italian restaurant. Soooo very good!!!

While we were there, we also really enjoyed a boat charter. You can do some incredible snorkelling, see some gorgeous beaches, eat on a "pirate ship" in a cove, swim to a bar called the Soggy Dollar, and they can tailor things to exactly what you want.

I know I haven't gotten into the financial aspects of your questions but it would be difficult to quantify. I think it would be close so I would explore.

Have a wonderful time. I hope this helps!

OMP
Madrid
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

Thank you very much trav...

For what you are saying, I'm reading that the best way to go is only for breakfast....ANd the rest, do it outside, and maybe ocasionally have one or two meals at the resort....Is in it???

Excellent report on eating!!! Thank you, i'll print it and take it with me...

How about renting a car??? Besides going to eat something, how about visiting other beaches by car??? We would have more freedom....Is it worth it???

What do you suggest on beaches and excursons???

Sorry for all these questions, bu I would really like hat everything would come out perfect!!!

Thanks again

Regards

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

I am like you - I like to have an idea of everything before I go so that I don't miss anything.

Yes, my opinion is that breakfast plan only and then some meals a la carte at the hotel is the way to go.

Going to other beaches is great and the resort will take you free of charge by boat. There are lots of great ones and they know them all. Dive BVI has great scuba tours if you are a diver but if not, they also take you to some really cool snorkelling areas that are a little more remote than what you might otherwise get to do. You will see some great fish but also enjoy the boat ride and scenery out to the island. I think they charge $30 for this.

We were there a week and didn't get a car. If you wanted to spend a day driving around, you can always rent for a single day.

Another little tip, stock up on your beer at the grocery store - there is a small one just down the road from LDB - the beach service is expensive and there is an empty fridge in your rooom.

England, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

hi i would go b& b as well, the only thing you may have to watch as you are going in august is that some resturants and resorts close down, normally the end of august/sept, for beaches, savavanh bay was my favourite i know little dixs do beach drop ofs, you must do the baths, and maybe hire a speedboat and tour the islands, jos van dyke, to the soggy dollar bar for a pain killer, foxys on the other side of jos, willy t"s for madness!!! and if you can a day trip to anegada it is amazing for a lobster lunch, and the beaches are great!! virgin gorda is a great island enjoy it!! i lived there for 6 years and had a great time!!!

NJ
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

My wife & I are going in August as well. Also in our 30's. For us it's our Babymoon, first trip away without baby (1 1/2 yr old) in over 2 yrs.

Anyway, we decided to do the Best of LDB. Our thought was that we would have 3 dinners at the resort (one is beachside) and the rest of our stay we would check out some other spots like The Rock Cafe. With this package we get breakfast and only 1 lunch, the beach drop-off picnic. This appealed to us as well since we were looking forward to that idea and allows us to get out and explore the island and other dining options during our stay.

From what I gather the meal plans only include the food. Drinks are extra. If I'm wrong I'll be very happy. But as i just found out about the in-room fridge we'll make use of that as well as the complimentary bottle of rum from LDB.

6. Re: LDB prices and packages....Can anyone help me on this??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda