We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring to the baths??

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
355 reviews
Save Topic
What to bring to the baths??

Are there lockers at the top? What would you carry down with you? Can we make our way through the baths with a backpack? When we get to the bottom, do we go right or left, or explore both sides in the 3 hours we have? Could you do it with bare feet or do we need water shoes? Do we need to be back at the ferry 30 minutes prior to departure? Any tips are appreciated.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring to the baths??

Definitely wear water shoes to help with traction and to protect your feet. Unfortunately, I can't answer your other questions.

I came across this website with map and description of a visit to The Baths:

http://www.thebathsbvi.com/map.htm

I hope this is helpful.

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring to the baths??

hi tamaralea,

Yes it is possible to make your way through with a backpack but there are lockers at the bottom near the bar if you decide not to. The area to the left is where you will enter the boulders. Sometimes, on a busy day it's easiest to snorkel from bay to bay. On the days when the cruiseship people shuttle down it's not unheard of to have to wait in a long line just to crawl through, but it is worth it!!! I'm sure you will enjoy it no matter what you bring. As for the ferry, I think that is the only thing that doesn't run on island time (they're on time all the time) it's probably best to be early. Of course, it's not so bad to be left on Virgin Gorda!!!

Good luck & have fun!!

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring to the baths??

Thanks so much for the great advice and the great map. I am really excited to see this place!

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring to the baths??

We've been exploring the baths for years. I don't remember lockers, but just bring your backpack, towel, and water. When you first get there you hike down for a few minutes. When you arrive at the first beach it's not over! Turn left to walk into the huge boulders. It's amazing. After climbing and maybe some wading, you'll end up on another beach - much more deserted. Just beautiful. You can definitely see everything in 3 hours.

Water shoes help, but I only brought flip flops the first time and and had to take them off and go bare foot. You can definitely do it with no shoes. When you're done exploring at the bottom, you can either come back the way you came - through the boulders, or you can hike up a path to the top parking lot. It takes about 15 minutes, I think.

Finally, make sure you don't go when the cruise ships are there. We've always gone in the afternoon and it's been fairly empty.

Have fun!

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring to the baths??

Thank you, Smoof. I just got back from purchasing all the water shoes for our family. The reminder to bring water is a good idea. We'll be at the baths in 4 days.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring to the baths??

tamaralea, Did you confirm if there are lockers available, how big they are, and how much they cost? We are going in two weeks! Thanks!

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to bring to the baths??

We used them last month on our trip. They are at the bottom of the hill, near the restrooms. They are $5 each and you give the money to a person working there to get a key. They are approximately 3 feet tall X 9 inches wide X 12 inches deep so our family rented 2 of them. The path along the beach goes off to your left (as you face the water). Keep going until you come to a nice beach. Many people turned around, not realizing you can keep going if you stay to the rear of some big boulders.

8. Re: What to bring to the baths??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Gorda