We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortola and crime?

massapequa, ny
Level Contributor
208 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tortola and crime?

I have been traveling to Tortola for about 10 years. Always felt comfortable and enjoyed driving after dark (about 8-9pm) from Cane Garden Bay to Long Bay Resort area. Was reading some recent posts on travel talk website about increased crime. Is it still safe to drive early evening?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tortola and crime?

Tortola is quite safe, with the exception of RoadTown and parts of East End late in the evening. Since there is really nothing to be in those areas for at that time of night, I wouldn't worry. I consider Apple Bay thru CGB to be the safest place you can be, unless you party too hard at Bombas.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tortola and crime?

You can ask my friend, Peter, about partying too hard. He didn't even make it to Bomba's. Took a shower and passed out in the living room at the villa. Oops!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tortola and crime?

I used to live there in '97 and didn't want to believe what I was hearing about the crime getting worse & the presence of gangs, but it's true. Things are getting worse, I discovered in my last visit this June. For one thing, there are guns now, which we never heard about before. I asked a variety of people - yachties, business owners, repeat tourists, & especially locals - about different stories I had heard while I was there & they all agreed there is a crime & drug contingent where before there was none. I was hoping the locals were going to tell me it was all rumors, but they didn't. Also they believe there are a lot of cops that are " in on it".

It's still WAY safer than other Caribbean islands, but it's true - the bad parts of civilization are catching up with Tortola. Makes me pretty sad. The old days of blissful, peaceful Tola are gone. Now it's more like the rest of the world. I'm kind of heartbroken about it since it's been my dream getaway spot for going on two decades.

Edited: 8:07 pm, September 06, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tortola and crime?

I grew up in the BVI and now live in Canada. I've never experienced any crime whatsoever during my time in the BVI. To ensure you that you have an enjoyable time, just make sure you lock your car and hotel room doors before going out. That's about the only advice you would need as anyone anywhere in the world would be tempted to walk into an open/unlocked area and take something.

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tortola and crime?

I know you are concerned about material crimes.....wallets etc. But did you know the BVI allows the endangered sea turtles to be hunted and killed? There is even a hunting season --- we are boycotting the BVI until they stop allowing the slaughter if innocent endangered turtles....

That's the kind of criminal behavior that destroys all the Virgin Islands...

Boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tortola and crime?

Hello

We are scheduled to travel in February. After doing some online research, I am beginning to get scared. Is crime in Tortola towards tourists truly increasing?. I am thinking of cancelling our trip. Please let me know if it is safe on the island. We are supposed to stay with a local, but he has a very casual, free spirit attitude, and now I am not so sure. Please advise.

Thank you

Boston
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tortola and crime?

It is very safe in the BVI. I have been there many times and have never felt unsafe and have gone there by myself a couple of times. Where are you staying?

Having said that, you do need to use your common sense when you go anywhere as nowhere is completely crime free.

18. Re: Tortola and crime?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, December 15, 2013