We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
500 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Hi. My husband and I are planning a brief stay in Tortola after a 7 day villa rental on St. John. We want to stay somewhere within easy walking distance of a nice beach and not spend >$200 per night. We will not be renting a car after renting one and the $$$$ price tag on St. John for 9 day car rental. Anyway, I am most interested in either Smuggler's Cove area or Cane Garden Bay. I cannot find much in the small hotel / B&B category in Smuggler's Cove, and I assume this is because it is sort of remote and there is not much around? We are very much NOT the luxury hotel type (been there - done that) and enjoy local atmosphere. In the Cane Garden Bay area we are considering the Mongoose Apartments or Myett's Garden Hotel and Grille, or possibly the Tamarind Court in Josiah's Bay. Is anyone out there familiar with any of these? We do not want to be at any place that has a loud beach bar and grille scene going on until the wee hours everynight, and would like a clean room within easy walking distance to a variety of restaurants and bars for the evening.

Thanks to anyone who is knowledgeable and can provide recommendations.

Bonnie

Boston
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

I agree that the location and the view cannot be beat and for the price, well, as I said, you get what you pay for. I don't need luxury, but I would rather pay slightly higher rates and stay at Myetts or Mongoose.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
500 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

I think I am going to go with the CGB cottages. Sounds very, very nice.............. pics look beautiful and they do allow you to use beach chairs, etc. from Myett's since the same people own them both. Also, I read in a (negative) post here on TripAdvisor from awhile back regarding Myett's that the Rhymers own just about everything in the Cane Garden Bay beach area and therefore don't have to "compete" much? Since I have never been there, I of course couldn't say. Anyway, If CGB cottages are not available then I will chose a room @ Myett's ............ I think it is close to a toss up anyway.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Actually, yes, several families own much of it. You will have a great time. It is a wonderful place. Make sure you go to Elm beach bar for the BBQ - the lobster night is great too.

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
500 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Hi. Ended up booking the 3 nights @ the Cane Garden Bay Cottages. The on-line site pics of these cottages look very nice. Anyway, thanks to all for your collective input and suggestions. I now have another question .........? We will be coming to Tortola from St. John via ferry. When we return to St. Thomas via ferry is it better to take the "fast ferry" directly to Charlotte Amalie or doesn't it matter as long as we make sure that whatever ferry we are on does not make a stop @ St. John first? I have read that some of the ferry's stop @ St. John first (and then you clear customs there) but others go directly from Tortola to Charlotte Amalie to clear customs and this is quicker? Thank you again.

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Check out bvivacationhouse.com

I have a friend who knows the property, and recommended it to me.

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Suggest bvivacationhouse.com

A friend has been traveling there for a long time and recommended this to me..

Boston
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

Not stopping in St John would be quicker, but just check the ferry schedules and pick the one that works best for your flight. Just make sure you leave plenty of time.

18. Re: Suggestions for short stay in Tortola?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 24, 2010