We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

chicago
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

We would like to go somewhere different in 2007 and Tortola looks like it fits the bill,can you give any details as to how long the flight is-is it direct-and I heard once you land on the large plane you must take a small one to get to Tortola,is that true? Thanks any inf would be great.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

Direct flight on United to STT then ferry to Tortola. Flight from ORD is about 6 hours. The BVI and USVI are heaven on earth.

chicago
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

how long is the ferry ride and is it rough????

Thanks

Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

The ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas is approx 40-50mins depending on whether you are going to West End or Road Town, Tortola. I’ve always found the ride very smooth and extremely enjoyable. It’s a great way to start a vacation.

Tortola, BVI
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

Check out Spirit Air. They have a flight from ORD to STT. We have many guests that fly Spirit and all good comments. Then take the ferry over to Tortola. It's about a 45 minute ride to West End.

Purplepineapple

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

Don't miss taking the ferry from ST. Thomas. It's a great way to start the vacation. I've never had a rough ferry ride. It's usually smooth and the scenery is gorgeous. You will feel as if you are leaving civilization behind and heading for your own private island...

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

There are no direct flights from ORD to EIS (Beef Island, Tortola), but there are LOTS of options, including going thru STT. We usually fly AA, connecting thru San Juan. We like this option vs trying to rely on the ferry schedule (which is sometimes not on time - we had one on fire once and had to return to base then no one was there - cost us lots of time). The ORD-SJU leg is about 4 hrs and the SJU-EIS leg is under one hr (maybe 20 mins flying at a low altitude). American uses the regional planes for the SJU-EIS leg - can't remember if they were props or jets, but big enough - seat like 40 or 50 people - just like the ones they use from ORD to the smaller midwestern cities. I would personally fly into Tortola rather than arrive via ferry as it certainly will give you more options as far as airlines and flight times (ferry generally stops running around 4 PM in advance of nightfall).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

We fly from NY to San Juan then to Tortola on AA. It is American Eagle that ties into American and they are prop planes but larger ones 30-50 passengers. The runway isn't big enough to handle passenger jets. I think the fact that there aren't direct flights helps to keep the island from being overcrowded. We love it there.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

Personal choice. I personally would do anything to avoid going into San Juan. WAY to many people and problems for me......Planes get in after 6:00 PM Lots of time wasted changing planes which are never on time and security issues with things "missing" out of luggage. See TTOL forum. The ferry is a nice way to kick back and get on island time. I can be sitting in the sun at 3:30. I can get from ORD directly to STT and miss all the tourist and air issues in San Juan. I don't have to deal with the public until I hit the ferry. Plus I can ferry direct to west end/get a car and avoid Road Town etc. It was also cheaper than flying ORD to SJU and then EIS. I have saved about $300 dollars this trip. It is a personal choice.

Iowa
Level Contributor
835 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

What do flights cost from Chicago to St. Thomas during high season?? We like ot travel over Xmas. Expedia, etc. don't have prices for Xmas 2007 yet.

Gina

Yorkville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone from Chicago or near been to Tortola?flight options?

In my opinion, the best way to get to Tortola is to fly in to Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas, and take the ferry from there to West End. From there, it's a 20 to 30 minute cab ride to Cane Garden Bay, and this is where I recommend staying. The problem with flying in to Tortola is that the east end is a much longer cab ride to CGB, and the only flights I could find were on very small planes, and were no bargain. The ferries run between the USVI and BVI throughout the day, and are a fun, scenic way to get around and explore the islands. Many of the ferries have bar service on them, and you'll have the opportunity to meet other vacationers, and even locals who work/live on different islands and use the ferries for commuting purposes. When I booked our trip, the only way I could find to make it from Chicago to Tortola in one day, without having to spend the night in Miami, San Juan, or Charlotte Amalie, was to use the ferry. Good luck on your trip, Tortola is a beautiful island, very unspoiled and uncommercialized. There are plenty of good local restaurants and markets for whatever you might need, but don't expect to see a Wal Mart, Mc Donalds, or Home Depot anywhere on the island. (This is what we liked best! :))

Get answers to your questions about Road Town