We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
582 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Visiting Tortola on a cruise, we have been to "the Baths" which was fabulous. We now want to spend an hour on a beach & I don't want to pay a taxi just for an hour on the beach.

Is there any beach walk-able from Road Town?

Also is there any walks that can be made from Road Town Cruise Terminal?

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

You will find some nice small shops within walking distance from the ship. A taxi or other shared vehicle is needed to get to any of the beaches, unfortunately. If you're interested many folks share "private" transportation to Long Bay (Tortola), Brewer's Bay, or Smuggler's Cove but that would be for most of the day.

Edited: 5:42 am, December 13, 2011
neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
582 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Thank you for the reply.

Pity taxis are so expensive, I don't want to spend most of the day on the beach.

Cheers.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Why don't you rent a car, that way you can stay as long as you wish at a beach and also see some of the island.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

If you don't want to rent or taxi to a beach perhaps a 1 or 2 hour island tour would appeal to you? Tortola is a beautiful island and a local driver can show you some fantastic sights in a couple hours. You would have alot to talk about at dinner that evening!

Edited: 2:47 pm, December 13, 2011
neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
582 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Not sure about hiring a car but it would have to be an automatic,

May rent a taxi for 2 hours but again not sure of charges. Why is getting a taxi so expensive.

Cheers

cheshire
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Hi nestonlad,

We could only find automatics when we tried last year,rung around most places and no - one had manual cars/jeeps for hire as they are brought over from the states.

We asked a taxi driver last year about the expense of the taxis ( i have a few friends who are drivers over here so was cuirious ) and his explanation was....

1.The majority of their work is seasonal and things slow down for them in the summer months so they need to make enough money to put by for slowtime.

2.roads/infrastructure on the islands are not the best so there is more wear and tear and damage to the taxis therefore more expensive.

3. when the taxis do break down/need repair.. with it being an island things cost them more money because parts have to be brought over from the mainland or at least st thomas...

Whether these reasons justify the outragous expense is not for me to say but i know on our last 2 trips there we have had to budget extra $$$ just for taxis and getting aroung...is it worth it???

Absolutely we have spent the last 2 years there ( landbased ) and love the islands..although how much you will get to see in your few hours there to form a true feeling is debatable.

But i honestly haven't met anyone who hasn't wanted to go back once they have been and sampled the illons and their charming ways!!

Cheers

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,057 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

The taxi prices are high on all islands due to the obvious expenses as noted by the previous poster - Everything is higher there, unfortunately (paradise doesn't come cheap)...

Taxi schedule attacher here, scroll down to the bottom for the hourly tour prices. There are other private options that cost a bit more but many folks use them to transport large numbers together.

bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-…

I would wholeheartedly recommend an island tour and include a beach stop if you can swing the cost. Having stayed on 'ilan there are several spots I would include in your itinerary and perhaps even add a short lunch at the Bananakeet or Sebastian's if they are open or another spot. Wonderfully amazing views of Apple, Carrot, & Long Bay from the cliffs of Bananakeet and nice seaside tables at Sebastian's, but of course that would eat into your tour time (no pun intended).

For a 2 or 3-hour tour ($110 or $165 respectively for 2 people) you could actually taxi to Long Bay (Tortola, not Beef Island) and enjoy the beach for a bit then see the island highlights on the return. Private transport and tour guide - doesn't get any better than that. The alternative is renting a soft-top Jeep for $50 and navigating the roads yourself. Not bad really unless you are easily intimidated by steep switchbacks. They just take some getting used to.

So my point is don't be too cheap if you can help it as this is an opportunity to see a gorgeous island!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Seriously, they are actually not that expensive and certainly not outrageous. It costs $24 from RT to CGB for one person and $12 each if you have 2 people and $8 each if you have three.

I don't know where you come from, but If I get a taxi to the train station that I can drive to in 10 minutes, it is about $20. If I get a taxi to the airport that I can drive to in 30 minutes it is about $70-90.

You can try doing one of the ship excursions - now I would imagine that is expensive.

neston,wirral,englan...
Level Contributor
582 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

The problem I find about the taxis Is that it seems fares are per person, here if the taxi fare is say £20 if you have 4 it is then cheap. So is it worth getting a taxi for an hour or so on the beach, when on other Islands the beach is on your doorstep & of course we will spend a hour on them.

I may look into hiring a car when I arrive there.

Thanks once again.

Cheers

Boston
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any beach,without a taxi ride.

This is no different. It is 24$ (plus tip) which is less than 16 Pounds. If you have 3 people it is 8$ a person or between 5-6 pounds.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you or not. They will be crowded - how much really depends on the size of the ship and how many ships there are in port.

Remember you are going to an island where virtually everything is imported. Things are expensive, but as far as things go I don't think the taxis are that high.

Get answers to your questions about Road Town