We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Tortola

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Tortola

I was just wondering if anyone knows a great place to go snorkeling for the afternoon in Tortola... we will be there for the day and would love some good advice. We are going over to the Bath's for the first half of the day. Any suggestions for the rest of the day.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

Hi - probably the best snorkeling from the beach on Tortola is either at Brewer's Bay or Smuggler's Cove. Hope you have a great time.

trudi@bestofbvi.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

Thanks for the info... do you happen to know which is closer to take a taxi from the port?

Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

Hi - Brewer's is closer to the port at Road Town. It will take approx 15-20 mins to get there. By the way, Nicole's beach bar at Brewer's serves very good pina coladas. Smuggler's Cove will take approx 25-30 mins and is a little more difficult to get to along an unmade road but, IMO, worth the effort. However, both beaches are stunning and usually fairly quiet. Hope this helps.

trudi@bestofbvi.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

In regard to getting to Smuggler's Cove... are there plenty of taxis to take you there and pick you up? That would be my biggest concern?

Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

Getting a taxi to Smuggler's from the port in Road Town would be no problem. Just ask the driver to come back at a certain time to pick you up but give yourself plenty of time in case he runs a bit late. You might also want to suggest to the driver that you'll pay for both journeys when he comes back to collect you. On the whole I've never found a problem with the taxi drivers on Tortola - they are usually reliable but may run 10 mins late or so. No problem though if you add this into the equation (plus a little extra to be on the safe side!).

trudi@bestofbvi.com

idaho
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

We saw turtles at Log Bay. Brewesrs bay had a bit to see even a sting ray. Keep in mind the surf is bigger at Smugglers and Brewers bay however

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

Hylasgirl,

Both beaches are considered to be the 2 best snorkeling beaches on Tortola, so you cannot really go wrong at either one. The best place to snorkel either beach is on the left side, toward the point, when you are standing on the beach looking out at the water. The point is closer from the shore at Smugglers than at Brewers, but the swim out to the point is a bit more interesting at Brewers than at Smugglers. Nicoles, a sandwich (burgers) shop and bar is in a building at Brewers, whereas the sandwich and drink vendor(s) at Smugglers are open air. Smugglers reminds us a bit more of some of the beaches we've been to in the South Pacific, and we stayed there in a villa just a short walk from the beach in the summer of '06.

I took some photos of a snorkel at Smugglers late one afternoon with a disposable uw camera, so the light was not the best: …smugmug.com/gallery/3964886#132256361

And I had a better camera early afternoon with better light when I took these photos of a snorkel at Brewers: …smugmug.com/gallery/3964886#128444436

As mentioned, the last mile or so of the road to Smugglers is a bit rough, but you will have a great time at either beach! alashas

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

My family and I will be one of many cruise ship participants landing in Tortola in March. Which is better snorkelling:

The baths, Virgin Gorda or

norman islands

or brewer's bay, tortola?

thanks for the info in advance.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

Hi LilSis,

It depends in part on what your interests are. If you really want to spend the day hanging out at a beach, Brewer's Bay is a great place to do that. There is a very good snack bar there that serves some of the best hamburgers on Tortola. If you really want to snorkel the Caves, then the Norman Island trip will take you there, and probably one or two other places where there is very good snorkeling. The Baths are one of the most interesting and unusual rock formations any where in the world, and, if you have never seen them before, then I recommend that trip very highly. We visit them every time we stay on Virgin Gorda. The hike through the Baths is narrow, and can get crowded if a lot of people from a cruise ship try to go through them at the same time. There is a beach at the Baths, and it might not be a bad idea to hang out there for awhile, until the crowd gets through the hike through the Baths, that will take around 10 to 15 mins. If you look for some of my other posts, I discuss the beaches on either side of the Baths. as well as the hike through the Baths. If anyone in your group has health problems, the trail down to the Baths, through the Baths, and back up from the Baths might be fairly stressful for them.

Here's photos of the hike down to and through the Baths to Devil's Bay, where you will end up:

…smugmug.com/gallery/4169118_yjoGk#243511305

Here's some of the snorkeling and hiking through the Baths: …smugmug.com/gallery/3674111_4yDj5#210025794

And more of the snorkeling there: …smugmug.com/gallery/2449006_atGRt#128431552

Enjoy your trip, alashas

10. Re: Snorkeling in Tortola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Road Town