We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab fare Tortola

Mount Vernon...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cab fare Tortola

My husband and I have been to St Thomas and I know

they drive on the left side and know in tortola they

do also. The cab fare in St. Thomas was expensive ten

dollars for both of us each way. Does anyone know if

it is the same in Tortola?

LB

Boston
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab fare Tortola

Ten dollars to/from where? Taxis are not particularly cheap in Tortola. Probably on par with St Thomas. It is cheaper to rent a car. Driving on the left is not really hard, but it is hilly.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab fare Tortola

Cab fares in the USVI/BVI are about the same...Always cheaper to rent a car if you're staying on the island for 3+ days and plan on seeing the sights.

Ct
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab fare Tortola

Recently it was $45 airport to Cane Garden Bay. From Cane Garden to Road Town $25 -- rather high!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab fare Tortola

I have paid $15 pp from Airport to CGB and $8 pp from Town to CGB and the same for CGB to West End, all based on 3 passengers or more. If you are the only passenger, expect to pay the pp X 3 rate. Some taxi drivers have been adding 1-2 dollars to the rates lately, due to fuel costs. Theoretically, the rates are established by the gov't, but as with everything else on the islands, change can take a long time, so increases for fuel will ultimately be coming officially and I don't see it to be a problem if they upcharge a dollar or so, as the terrain certainly doesn't lend itself to being fuel efficent.Car rental is certainly a good idea. I had a Jeep from Jerrys last week, $55 a day and had to put $30 in gas in it before I returned it(3/8 tank). If coming into the airport, look or ask for a driver named "CASH"(I always wondered if he accepted checks, just make it out to CASH). Don't be surprised to find that "PUBLISHED RATES" are no longer the real rate. Rates published in the Welcome magazine are not currently accurate(Feb edition) as some Ferry companies have increased fares due to fuel increases also. Personally, I go with a general idea of what it should be, and if it is within 10-15% of what I expect, I go with it. Even in the supermarkets (especially Bobbys in CGB) the price sticker on the item is really more of a "guide" as the price may well be different when it is scanned at the register. Prices can and do change, especially if fuel/transportation charges are a component of the item, which on an island, affects everything. I have seen people argue with the cashier that the can of peas says $1.79 and the scanner says $1.84...don't waste your time, they will nicely put that item aside and let you go find it elsewhere. In fact, buying a 6 pack of Coke can be an adeventure. They have prices for single,cold cans and then single warm cans,not the entire 6 pack. Of course the barcode on the cans don't differ between warm and cold, so it is up to the cashier to select the correct price level. I started to think that Coke was now being traded on the commodities exchanges as the price was different every time. If you are on a strict budget, ASK for the price first.

5. Re: Cab fare Tortola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Road Town