We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

Lake Jackson...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

We are coming to Tortola on a cruise from 7am to 3pm. We are considering taking a ferry to Virgin Gorda for the Baths. Where is the Speedy ferry from the cruise dock? Is it in walking distance and how long would it take to get there. It leaves at 7:45 and usually the ship begins debarking soon after 7 am. Also, I have read on the forums of issues with the ferry boats reliability, but these were from a few years ago. Hopefully they have improved to where we should not be concerned with not making it back to Tortola before our departure time. Thanks for any advice.

6 replies to this topic
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

Meant to add that there is a wealth of info dedicated to day visitors on the Tortola forum on cruise critic. In the link above you'll find some specifics as well as a google map showing the location of the ferry dock. You should easily make the 7:45 if you're off early, and I believe you'll be taking a 12:40 return which gets you back about 1:10. So if you make the 7:45 you'll have about 4 hrs on Virgin Gorda, the next ferry is at 9 I believe. The ferries are very reliable but would recommend getting in line for the return a little early.

When you're back you'll see Sunny Caribbean,a great little spice and rub shop, and Pusser's Pub has a nice line of clothing if you have time.

Lake Jackson...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

Thanks for this information. I think we may go this way instead of the cruise ship excursion. We will check out the shops you suggested on the way back. If something happens where we cannot get on the 12:40 ferry, even though very unlikely, is there any other way to get back to Road Town before the 3 pm ship departure? another ferry? private boat? Thanks again.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

No ferry, but they will add another ferry if there are folks left but you may get back a little later. So it's worth the effort to get in line there 30 minutes ahead of time...

Edited: 10:04 am, January 30, 2017
Lake Jackson...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

This trip to Virgin Gorda was the highlight of our cruise. The ship docked at 7:00 am and we were off the ship by 7:20. It was an easy 10 min walk to Speedy's and we bought our tickets with 15 minutes to spare. The tickets were $37, a little higher than I was told. But when we got to Virgin Gorda, we found out that price covered even the land transportation to and from the Baths! We had a great time going through the boulders and fighting the strong waves in the clear surf. I even got in some snorkeling. We boarded one of the many open air buses and made it back to the dock in plenty of time. Highly recommend this excursion to anyone capable of climbing through rocky terrain.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing

Thanks for reporting back! Glad you were able to enjoy your day and experience the Baths.

Yes Speedy's does offer packages that include the taxi fare on VG and also a package that includes lunch and a drink at the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown.

But agree that going on your own is nicer and very easy to do!

Reply to: Cruise dock to Speedy ferry landing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Road Town