We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches/resorts in Tortola

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches/resorts in Tortola

We was thinking of staying a Long Bay but I've read that the beach isn't really ideal for swimming?

We love the beach so can anyone suggest a resort that has a great beach without the commute?

Thanks

Alex_75
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

Hi -

You may try something along Cane Garden Bay, however, most of the accomodations there are self contained units, or modest (but very clean and friendly) small hotels. The beach at Long Bay isn't the worst for swimming.....

I definitely recommend renting a jeep while there so that you can enjoy the spectacular beaches at Smugglers Cove and Brewers Bay, plus the island has so much to offer, it's a shame to stay at one place and not experience it all.

I guess it does depend too, on what your needs are as far as hotel. I stayed at Long Bay Beach resort on my first visit to Tortola, and had one of the beach front cabanas. It was fine, but for the $$, I'd rather stay in a locally owned and operated small inn such as Heritage Inn or Sebastions and drive to the beautiful beaches and experience the local food that can be found while out exploring.

Hope this helps some.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

Thank you.. we are definately beach people and for the most part just like walking out the door to enjoy the beach.

When one travels to the beach in Tortola, are there places one can change clothes? Use the rest rooms? that kind of thing?

Alex_75
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

No, unfortunately, there isn't anything like that available as far as I know. If you really want to stay within walking distance to a beach, then accomodations at Cane Garden Bay would probably be best.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

We rented a car and just changed there when need be. I think the island is so casual, slipping in and out of swimsuits (discreetly) into shorts/dress under a towel on the beach is fine. We did that a few times too (and the Brits are infamous for doing it!). Plus the island 'dresscode' is pretty laid back too. I had no problem putting a sundress over my head, brushing my hair and heading straight from the beach to dinner.

Also, we got back just earlier this week and the water was pretty choppy from storms somewhere nearby (St Martins?) We found the water fun but a bit rough everywhere we went. We were at Long Bay Beach 3 times and not once was it mellow, but we swam anyway. Beware though, that Long Bay and Smugglers Cove both had strong currents and I am told Long Bay can have undertows. When the water is mellow, it can be amazing swimming and snorkling in Smuggler's Cove, which I too recommend you rent a car and drive to - regardless of the wind and waves! HAVE FUN! I am envious.

caribbean
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

As I have mentioned on this post we just got back from Long Bay. great place. mile long beach. food is good but worth a trip into town for some local fare...at good prices. also check out the other BVI islands like Jost and Virgin Gorda. I would also do the dolphin discovery.

Again, I am not a fan of pumping companies online, but these people did it right for us. www.canegarten.com

besides the great rates they told us the knooks and crannies and off the beaten path places. they live and work down there and know every island they sell very well. we were amazed.

good luck!

canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

The problem with Cane Garden bay is that when the cruise ships come in there can be thousands of people on the beach.

However, not too far from Long Bay is a great beach of Smugglers Cove. It isn't catered to by the cruise ship crowd as it hasn't got facilities.

But, when the surf is up and it's rough, there is undertow everywhere. I've been snorkling there for years and years and haven't encountered any undertow as yet.

I'd stay at LongBay and maybe rent a car to visit some beaches.

Cane Garden used to be heaven, so if you are there and there are no cruise ships in, then go to CG and enjoy!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

As with most of the North Shore beaches, Long Bay can be rough in the winter months. Complete tranquility may be unattainable there, except possibly in mid-summer.

Although also north Shore beaches, Cane Garden Bay, Smuggle's Cove and Brewer's Bay are sheltered and offer better odds on peaceful water.

One of the least crowded stretches of beach on the North Shore is the west end of Long Bay. From the resort it's about a 50 yd stroll to a gentle sandy bottom and fairly wide beach.

maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches/resorts in Tortola

Can anyone recommend places to stay at Long Bay besides Long Bay Resort?