We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

HI - We are 2 couples who have never been to Tortola. We are flying into Beef Island and staying for 3 nights (on Tortola) and then getting on a Bareboat catamaran from the Moorings out of Road Town.

We are trying to find a nice hotel that is somewhat convenient - If the hotel is worth it, then we

don't mind being away from everything, but need some advice... if hotels are similar, then we

would rather be in the more convenient location.

I have looked at the Sugar Mill and also Frenchmans (Cay)- Would like to spend no more than $350.00 per night and less if possible. (Feb/March/2015)

Thanks for any advice!

South Portland...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

I believe you will be hard pressed to get a 3 night stay at Frenchmans for your initial nightly price target. The Sugar Mill should come much closer. Both are on the West End side, a rental car is highly recommended. I can only speak specifically about the Sugar Mill, My wife and I enjoyed the relaxed environment, restaurant(s) and overall 'value'. Read the reviews for more details.

Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

Hi. Thanks very much! If you have any favorite restaurants or any other advice on the hotel (best rooms, etc) I would appreciate your knowledge.

Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

Hi. Thanks very much! If you have any favorite restaurants or any other advice on the hotel (best rooms, etc) I would appreciate your knowledge.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

Just to put in perspective ... my wife and I are both 60, active and enjoy 'smaller places' like the Sugar Mill. - The Deluxe Rooms were fine & roomy, have toaster, coffee maker etc. Note .. the grade is uphill to these rooms from the check in/office/pool area . We stayed on the 3rd floor ... beautiful view off the balcony ... read our review from this past April for the Sugar Mill. The two restaurants at Sugar Mill for lunch & dinner are very good but can be pricey. We also enjoyed BananaKeet Café and the evening entertainment as well. Again … you should consider a vehicle rental.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

Another vote for Sugarmill. My husband and I stayed there this April, I wrote a review 17th-20 stay. You will definately need a rental car, and driving is quite doable.

For dinner go to D'Coal Pot, just a 5ish min drive from Sugar Mill. Dinning there is really good. We always had breakfast at Sugar Mill and thought to be pretty good and hearty. One day we even ordered their picnic basket for lunch, it is pricey $25 ea, but worth it.

Sugar Mill's restaurant is really good for a nice dinner. It is expensive, but after a long day it is worth it for relaxation.

As for lunch, don't sweat it. There are many small spots to try out.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

My wife and I had eight nights at Frenchmans in February. I would really recommend it for a relaxing stay. The cottages are beautiful and have sensational views over the St Francis Drake Channel. The grounds are lovely and even when the resort is full it is quiet and relaxed.

There are restaurants close by in Sopers Hole and Frenchmans does have an excellent one on site. I would hire a car to get to the local beaches and for touring the Island.

7. Re: Frenchmans cay OR Sugarmill for 3 nights/close to Moorings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 25, 2015