We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Tortola - repost

Hoboken, NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Tortola - repost

My husband, 4 month old daughter and I are currently in STT. I was thinking of taking the ferry over to Tortola for a day. Since we wouldn't have a car, does that make sense with an infant? What would you recommend to do? Are there beaches walking distance from the ferry? We also plan to take the car ferry to STJ and we have a day sail booked. Thanks!

Columbus...
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

Without transportation you would be very disappointed. But with a jeep for the day, you would be disappointed that your staying on STT or visiting STJ. An option would to ferry over and take a day sail in the BVI. The Indians and Norman island would be great. You will need passports.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

Yes you would want to rent a Jeep or hire a taxi while on Tortola, and you'd have a limited time there.

There are operators like Stormy Petrel and breakaway that go to Virgin Gorda (the Baths) with another snorkel stop and then stop at White Bay, Jost Van Dyke for a beach bar break. But not something you'd want with an infant.

You could also take the Daydreamer catamaran out of the Sugar Bay Resort (just the other side of Sapphire from Red Hook), they make a snorkel stop off STJ, stop for lunch at Foxy's in Great Harbor on Jost, then spend time at White Bay. Sounds like a nice day but you already have a daysail planned.

So I'd say Tortola wouldn't be worth it unless you plan to drive or taxi to Long Bay or Brewers Bay and see some of the island on the way.

Hope you're having a great visit on STT. We love Tortola, but we also love staying at the Sapphire Beach Resort and enjoing Red Hook at night, the East End is very nice!

Edited: 6:53 pm, January 05, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
167 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

I don't think that there is anything you would want to see on Tortola to drag a baby over for the day.... If you do go, rent a car. If you want to plan a day trip, go to STJ or Virgin Gorda for the day. The baths are worth it and if you can carry the baby with the Snuggly or something similar where he/she is safely strapped, you can go through the Baths at Virgin Gorda. I hope that helped!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

kam, we often spend time on STT after Tortola and I'd consider that next visit if at all possible. Great way to see Tortola and VG, and two very different experiences just 50 minutes apart via ferry.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

I love Tortola and a day trip there is a great thing to do as long as you have a car. If you do not, it would not be a great day. It is well worth the car rental fee. I personally would not take a baby to the Baths, but you could go to Virgin Gorda and go to Spring Bay which is the beach north of the Baths and the big boulders are there too but you don't have the walk down to the beach. On either island you could do an island tour to avoid renting a car, but that would probably cost more.

Hoboken, NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

Thanks for all the responses....I decided to make BVI its own trip next year.

7. Re: day trip to Tortola - repost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2015