We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back

dallas texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back

Greetings everyone. We are just back from Tortola and Guana Island. We spent the first half of the trip at Cane Garden Bay Cottages. We rented through VRBO. The cottages were 2 duplex cottages offset from each other on private grounds across the street from the beach. You could not see the beach. The cementary was directly across from us, but a short few steps down a pathway and you were on the beach. We could take our chairs and even walk back to the house for snacks or bathroom. Beauty of this location was that it ws at the other end of the beach where the cruise boat passengers were . We were in cottage 2 and loved it. No neighbors for the first few days. Even when neighbors moved in it was still very private. Ate at Els twice, great ribs and music. Myetts had great cracked conch . Bargin of the trip. Lunch at Sebastions. Dinner at Sugar Mill. The service and atmosphere were great but food was not up to par for what it cost. Prime rib was more like a well done roast. It had always been on our list of places to eat, so we can cross that off now. The cottage had a great mini kitchen. We did breakfast and a few lunches at home. Sat on the deck dining area and watched all the tourists drive by. We had a car which I would advise. This was our 19th tome to the islands, but the first on land. Used to charter sailboats. Loved every min. I will post a separate review of Guana.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back

Thanks for your report!

We have stayed at Myett's but not the cottages and we've considered them on a future visit. Great spot for dining and happy hours for sure.

We had made reservations at the SM on our first visit to Tortola and ended up leaving because it just felt so stuffy that evening at least. We walked to Sebastian's and had one of our most memorable evenings with the amazing sunset on the water and the nice, casual vibe.

Did you make it to Smuggler's Cove while there?

Thanks again

Boston
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back

Can you tell me anything about Sebastian's. I know you said lunch was a bargain, but how was the food, scenery and facilities there? Do you recall if the beach was nice? I am heading there for the first time and would like to know as much as I can.

One of my big questions is about the surf on this side of the island. Is it really rough?

Thank you and thanks for the report.

dallas texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back

There is not much of a beach. It is pretty narrow,but they did have a small area in front of some of the ocean front rooms that seemed to be for guests only. I'm sure someone had stayed there can answer better. There was a pretty good surf and the surfers were out in force. You are not far ,by car, to Cane Garden Bay which seemed to have a much calmer beach. I will sat when we were we had the absolute worse weather you could imagine. Lots of wind and rain. It was getting better when we were leaving. Hope this helped.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back

Yes, thanks for the reply. We have the ocean front rooms, so hopefully that will make it even nicer. If anyone wants to chime in, please do. I am a little bit afraid of the surf. I love to swim and want to be able to go in the water.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back

Apple Bay & Capon's Bay by Bomba's is a popular surfing spot, the waves there can be pretty good some days. We've stayed in CGB and it can be very rough there as well, just depends on the sea conditions. Some of the nicest beaches are on this side and you are in a great spot. You'll like it there, and you're very close to Long Bay which is very nice and a little further to SC which is a gorgeous beach. Don't spend all of your time at Sebastian's.

We like having dinner at Sebastian's, reserve the leftmost seaside table for an amazing sunset on the water dinner. And of course the sunset from Bananakeet is unmatched and they have a nice happy hour and dinner.

Are you ferryjng into WE and renting a Jeep ?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back

We are ferrying into the West End. I was thinking only renting a jeep for a day or two. We did the meal plan for 3 days on at Sebestian's and then 3 off and then our last 3 on. I figure we would really see the island the days that we don't have the meal plan.

I did contact Jerry's, but I understand it is hard to reserve for a day or two when they want to reserve to people who want the entire week. Any other places I should try?

Also, anyone been out on the Aristocat? We are planning doing a CAT trip for a day. Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back

Aristocat trip is great - highly recommended

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back

Dede's is highly recommended by others. You can also taxi to CGB and back on the meal-plan days (safer than driving when drinking Quito's Legends!). There was actually a driver that lived right by Sebastian's, but they will call for you.

Columbus...
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back

We just got back from a ten day stay. The owner of Aristocat has two cats...one in West End and the other in Road Town. The two cat's take you to different locals. We have done both and The Indian's and Norman Island is the best trip. Please take this to heart and rent a jeep for your entire trip...IT IS A MUST! Tortola is a big island and you miss so much without transportation. The sixty dollars a day is well spent.

10. Re: Just Back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, January 04, 2014