We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

virginia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

We are travelling to Tortola after four visits to St. Johns this year. We have found a great villa and are wondering which islands we will enjoy more. We think it's time for a change but don't what to be disappointed. We love to snorkel and discover hidden places. We would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Ken

rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

we're st. john lovers but have"discovered" the bvi's and have fallen for them too. bet you'll enjoy your stay. what comes to mind is, if you're into shopping than st. john is" better". aside from that ,they are 2 beautiful islands with a unique personality..tortola imo is much more laid back of the two.i don't think you'll rergret going...of course you'll be renting a car?? it's a must !! what time of year are you traveling ?? that will make a difference since aug-sept /mid oct many places close..as do on st. john. if you're traveling in those months you might get an unfair "view" of tortola. just go relax,enjoy and don't look back. we now split our vacation between the 2 !!!

virginia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

Thank you very much for the response. We are considering splitting our time between both islands. We will be travelling in August for ten days. Have you been Jost Van Dyke and Anegada? How were the? Was is easy to purchase food for your Villa in Tortola?

Ken

rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

kenny...we haven't rented a villa on tortola since we usually don't stay for a week. usually tack on a few days to our st. john trip and go over ... stay at Sebastians or Long Bay resort ,so we haven't needed to grocery shop but i understand it's not a problem. check this site to ask bvi info/ www.traveltalkonline.com/bvi forum -- posters well versed in bvi info. have been to Jost and we've stayed at Sandcastles(we were there 4/06)....love this island !!!! love Sandcastles !!! right on the beach/White Bay, home of the Soggy Dollar Bar and the Painkiller !! just down the beach is Ivans campgrounds and Stress Free Bar !!( have stayed here too) quite a place...a piece of heaven. Jost is VERY laid back !! IMO..the best place to relax....but if you want a bit of the "nightlife" you can always find it( Foxy's always has some music/dancing going)..we have !!! some really memorable times, great people and stunning views !!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

There are a number of places that will provision your villa. We were there a few weeks ago and had Bobby's provision ours. It was very convenient- saved us from having to run to the market right away. There are other threads on this forum that discuss it further and give other's insights.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

Anegada is completely different - very flat, with sparse vegetation and sparse population. With little shade, the heat in August could be intense. If there is a storm, you won't find much shelter. You need to get in and out of Anegada by air (helicopter is a great option) or by boat with an expert captain, since the surrounding reefs are very treacherous. Lots of wrecks.

On the other hand, the beaches and the reefs are beautiful. Anegada lobster is delicious. Beach bars are fun. The ambience is pure escape. Anegada is defintiely worth a day trip.

People we know, who live and work on Tortola, go to Anegada when they need to "de-stress"!

Philadelphia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

Me and my wife just returned from our two week honeymoon where we stayed in St. John for the first week and then Tortola for the second. Each are equally unique in their own way. I regretted not keeping a journal of each and everyone one of our fantastic days on each island and beyond. Feel free to contact me and I'll send you a more detailed description if you want.

kevinolinik@aol.com

Best of LUck!!!

Philadelphia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

Me and my wife just returned from our two week honeymoon where we stayed in St. John for the first week and then Tortola for the second. Each are equally unique in their own way. I regretted not keeping a journal of each and everyone one of our fantastic days on each island and beyond. Feel free to contact me and I'll send you a more detailed description if you want.

kevinolinik@aol.com

Best of LUck!!!

massachusetts
Level Contributor
293 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

definitly St. Johns, the BVI are overrated---don't go there.

I actually here ST. Croix is the best place to go now.

St. John
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

We live in St. John. Its a bit like Boulder, Colorado comes to the Caribbean. Lots of (us) exhippie types and the life style that goes with it. Its upscale, lots of arty shops, fantabulous beaches. The BVI is less American and more 'working Caribbean'. We go to Tortola at least once a month to relax.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tortola vs St.Johns. Which is better?

They are both great, but different. If you like St. Johns, you will love Tortola - it is one of my favorite islands in the caribbean. It is so beautiful and safe and there is more to do there than on St. Johns. You definitely need to go to Jost Van Dyke and the Soggy Dollar Bar. Anegada is very different - flat but nice beaches. I took a day trip on a sailboat from the Bitter end yacht club. It was ok, but I would not go back twice. Also, check out Marina Cay. It is a small cay just off Trellis Bay - near the airport. There is a free ferry from Trellis and it is really quiet and nice beach. Check out de loose mongoose (restaurant) at Trellis bay. Good banana pancakes.

My other new favorite island is St. Croix. Don't believe any of the bad things you hear about it. It is beautiful and the people are really nice. It is less expensive than either St John or Tortola.

Have fun.

saffie