We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BVI: Great Camanoe Christmas Questions

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
BVI: Great Camanoe Christmas Questions

Hi, we will be spending the holiday with children on Great Camanoe and I am curious: will there be any Christmas trees (caribbean or otherwise) for sale near the Beef Island airport? Will we be able to get a taxi at the airport on Christmas Day to go to church somewhere on Tortola?

Also, can I count on the ferries running from Tortola to STT on 12/26? Thank you very much!

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BVI: Great Camanoe Christmas Questions

We will be there, too. There will probably be several parties on island - usually are.

There are unlikely to be any Christmas trees for sale near Beef Island. There should be fake ones for sale in Road Town; a "real" one from up North would last about ten minutes in the climate. Which house are you staying at? Have you asked if they have one already? Otherwise, most of us just put up lights, candles, etc. Some people use a Century plant, but I don't bother.

You might want to bring Christmas paper plates, napkins, candles, etc. with you; the ones on island can be tacky and/or very expensive. If you forget, I have an overly large inventory

Our neighbors go to the RC church in East End (St. Mary Star of the Sea) on Christmas Day. Taxis should be available, but I would recommend renting a car at Beef Island airport about 1 pm on Christmas Eve to tour Tortola for the afternoon. Park it overnight at the Hertz shed at Trellis. Then Christmas morning you can drive to the church of your choice, returning the car at the airport before your one-day rental is up. This will save you money and worry.

Christmas week is the busiest week of the year in the BVI, so ferries should be running. There should be a lot of people arriving on Dec. 26 and going to Tortola, so there shouldn't be a problem going the other way.

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BVI: Great Camanoe Christmas Questions

thank you so much! i will do as you recommend. we are renting the whipple house and are very much looking forward to it. we will be going to the rc church as well.

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BVI: Great Camanoe Christmas Questions

MM, sent you a PM.

4. Re: BVI: Great Camanoe Christmas Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 12, 2013