We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports while island hopping

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
604 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Passports while island hopping

I have a couple passport questions:

1. Our plan is to arrive by ferry from STT. Since we're arriving by boat, can we use the passport card or do we need the regular passport?

2. We clear C&I in Tortola, do you need the passport to go to JVD? If we go on a day trip, not sure I'd want to carry my passport around.

Thanks

Paul

Boston
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports while island hopping

I am pretty sure you can use your passport card by boat. Are you returning by boat to STT? If you have a regular passport I would use that because if something happened and you needed to leave by air you would not be able to.

You do not need it within the BVI so you do not need to carry it.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
604 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports while island hopping

Thanks Saffie. Our current passports have expired - since we need new ones, just trying to see if the cards would work as an option.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports while island hopping

I think they do but there is a lot of mis-information on the forums and the internet. If it was me I would call either the immigraiton people in Tortola or the ferry company to see what you need - just to be sure.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports while island hopping

Parrot Heads,

I found that by contacting C&I you get a different answer to the same question for each person you ask.

On their C&I brochure they say you must have a valid passport and it must have more then 6 months left on it till it expires.

Once you have cleared into the BVI's your passport is not required to go to the other BVI's.

Edited: 10:19 am, July 20, 2012
Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
604 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports while island hopping

Thanks!

6. Re: Passports while island hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 22, 2013