We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few Tortola questions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,829 posts
Save Topic
A few Tortola questions

After spending a few nights on STJ for a work function my wife and I want to hit one more spot for a few nights before we head home.

Ive been to both STT and STJ before and dont want to extend our stay on either island. So the BVI's seam logical since they are right there and will only require a quick ferry.

Doing research Tortola seems to fit what we want, but now I can't decide where to stay.

We are a childless 40 year old couple that go out for drinks every weekend and lives at the beach so this isnt some escape from reality and kids type of trip.

All I need is this a great beach (must be on the beach, not a marina), a great casual nightlife to walk to or even a quick cab ride away and a nice hotel. Cane Garden Bay seems like the area we are looking for?? But is their a nice hotel or resort to stay there? Ive looked at Myett's but I dont know if that is what we are looking for and Lighthouse Villas?

Any hotel suggestions in CGB or is there another area I should look at?

Budget $200-$450 night

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 6:57 pm, February 17, 2012
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few Tortola questions

Myetts is probably the nicest hotel in Cane Garden. No "resorts" to speak of. Lighthouse Villas are also quite nice, great view of the bay, bit of a steep walk up to it.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few Tortola questions

Agree with previous poster, we've stayed at Myett's and although quite adequate it is not really a "nice hotel" type property. It is on the beach though.

To help you find a nice hotel on a beach I would look first at the Long Bay Resort, an Elite Island Resort property. It is situated on the picture postcard Long Bay Beach and is a very nice property. We have not stayed there yet but we visited the property (pool, main lobbies, and grounds) and it is very nice. We're considering staying there next trip. We've seen some questionable reviews but they are generally very positive and we've talked to other couples staying there and they loved it there.

They offer cabanas directly on the beach, rooms across the street near the pool and pool bar, and rooms up the hill with amazing views.

Smuggler's Cove (our favorite Tortola beach) is a very short drive south, and Sebastion's (one of our favorite restaurants) a very short drive north. The Bananakeet is just beyond that, and CGB beyond that. So you are in an ideal spot.

Another option is the Sugar Mill which is just past Sebastian's. They have a very small beach and a nice restaurant but location isn't ideal. And there are a few other more "upscale" places that are more secluded.

Just a note on CGB, it is a large bay and a decent beach but we don't go there for the beach. We and others go to CGB for the nigjtlife - dinner, happy hour at Myett's and music in the evenings.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few Tortola questions

Hmmmm...that is a difficult one. I agree that CGB is the place to stay for what you want, but there are not resort type hotels in the BVI - and most of us that go there like it that way. Myetts is fine for us, but I would not classify it as a 'nice' hotel. To me it is more like a 3* island style hotel . Don't get me wrong, we have stayed there and loved it and will go back there again, but it has its flaws. You might want to look at Mongoose which is also at CGB and I think a nicer place but it is across the road but the owners live right on the beach and all the chairs, etc are right there. It is a great place to stay. The Sugar Mill is a very nice botique style hotel with a fabulous restaurant but the beach is not as nice as CGB. I like the CGB beach and we spend a good bit of our vacation at it. Long Bay might suit your needs but there is not much within walking distane.

If you would consider Virgin Gorda, you could look at Little Dix Bay which is fabulous.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few Tortola questions

Yes VG is the ultimate BVI destination for a resort-type experience, Little Dix Bay, Bitter End Yacht Club, and others are very highly rated. We like Tortola for the varied dining and entertainment options, as saffie says we like Tortola for what it is.

We too enjoyed our stay at Myett's. Not luxurious by any stretch, but clean and comfy, and Val and Kareem are great hosts,and Prince is their main bartender. We have never had towels that soft before or since our stay at Myett's, although they were very close at the Heritage Inn (Bananakeet) up the hill from CGB.

The front room of Myett's (#1 I believe) at least is adequate with AC and some eating amenities. I always have to call down to have Kareem change over to another cistern when my wife showers, but that's because she has long hair and we probably weren't conserving water as we should with the weaker presure. Overall a decent stay and Myett's is the prime spot to be for happy hours with the Elms and Quito's a short walk away. And you also have Julians water taxi to Jost right there.

CGB is fine for wading or swimming, for snorkeling you'll want Smuggler's or another spot. We haven't stayed at the Mongoose Apts yet because of the location but that is a plus for some folks. If you want several dining and bar options on the same beach CGB is for you (or White Bay, Jost).

One of the reasons we would consider Long Bay is because it's a very short drive (or a walk) to Sebastian's, and Bananakeet and CGB are just up and over the hill, respectively. You can also head for the other side of Smuggler's to West End and enjoy that area. And of course nearby Smuggler's is the nicest beach (in our opinion) so that's a plus. Long Bay is a bit pricier than Myett's and Mongoose of course, but well within your budget, and we were surprised at how nice it really is there.

Several other resort type options we haven't mentioned that are worth looking at the reviews for here on TA, these are all within or close to your max budget.

Scrub Island resort

Fort Recovery

Frenchman's

Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few Tortola questions

Just to clarify, the only reason I suggested LDB vs. any of the other high end resorts is that it is very close to Spanish Town where you would find other restaurants, etc. and the beach is fantastic.

I would say read the reviews of Myetts or any other place in CGB to see what you think and to be clear on what it is and what it is not.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few Tortola questions

And I should have mentioned too that Scrub, Frenchman's, and FR are more remote than the options along the west coast of Tortola.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A few Tortola questions

Frenchman's & Fort Recovery are on the West End of Tortola. Both hotels are near the WE ferry dock, Soper's Hole (shopping, restaurants, day sails, blue water divers, marina), and a straight shot into Road Town (15-20mins)---the island's only 21 sq. miles, nothing truly takes long or is terribly remote (it may seem this way as the island is mountainous and coastline is quite curvy, but in reality the longest drive is about 45mins end to end). Over the hill in Apple Bay (a very short drive), is Bomba's Shack which would meet your nightlife requirement, especially if it's Full Moon during your stay.

Scrub is on the completely opposite end and is a short (free) ferry ride from Trellis Bay in the east end...I think any of these three are closer to what the original poster is looking for.

Edited: 11:04 am, March 05, 2012
8. Re: A few Tortola questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, June 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tortola
Recent Conversations