We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me Decide!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Help me Decide!

Hi All,

My soon to be wife and I are looking for our honeymoon spot, mid May. I've been looking at a million places, and narrowed it down to a few.

For the BVI, we're looking at Scrub Island and Peter Island Resort. Anyone been to both and have an opinion? We're also considering Sanctuary Cap Cana and Iberostar Grand Bavaro (both in DR), and Blue Water Antigua.

We're both young, mid 20s, and want to relax but also have the option to do some activities (windsurfing, kayaking, etc). We're both foodies, so having a good couple restaurants is key.

One thing I really like about Scrub Island is they offer a Caribbean 'booze cruise' where from 10am-5pm you visit 3 local island bars.

Any help is appreciated!!

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me Decide!

Look over Little Dix on Virgin Gorda. I have not stayed there but have toured the property and did lunch there. Very nice beach as well. Forget Antigua, hard to get around and the water is somewhat murky. You might also consider Grand Cayman as there are a lot of water activities there and restaurants are plentiful.

Columbus...
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me Decide!

We love Tortola! Biggest island of BVI and more options. Like the other islands it's quite undeveloped. You can day trip to the other islands by ferry. We stay on the go, and enjoy the beaches and dining on all the islands, while vacationing. You will find a private villa of your choice on VRBO. North side of island is best. You will need to rent a jeep. Be sure and day trip to Jost!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me Decide!

I would look at the resort options on VG if you want the BVI since there is more there to choose from in that "vacation type".

We love Tortola, and there are some excellent villa options around Smuggler's Cove and other spots on the West side. You will find the majority of villa rentals offered through TTOL (traveltalkonline.com). Many sponsors advertise and converse in the BVI forum there, great resource for villas.

For resort-type vacations we're partial to the Iberostar Tucan in Playacar (gated community a short walk from Playa Del Carmen). Oldest Ibero on the Yucatan and the best - situated in a jungle and set on a gorgeous beach with excellent service, great dining, a wonderful staff, several animals roaming free including monkeys, peacocks, iguanas, and turtles, and fun entertainment. When we want a quieter spot we'll also hit the RIU Palace Las Americas or RIU Cancun in Cancun. But having said that we want to stay at the Fusion Hotel on the beach in PDC after enjoying an evening there. Great location and staff and food and they get excellent blues and reggae bands there nightly.

We're considering a first visit to the Ibero Hacienda Dominicus in the DR because of the excellent location, but Punta Cana and other areas don't interest us as there is nothing there.

Good luck with your choice, you may want to try staying at a resort on VG or Tortola and then at a smaller place on Jost to mix it up a bit!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me Decide!

I have to add a comment in regards to the earlier Antigua note, the water there is actually some of the most beautiful blue and clear water we've seen. Perhaps there was a sea swell when the eearlier poster was there but it really is a gorgeous destination - gorgeous beaches and bays, and the island is lovely. And Barbuda is close by!

So many gorgeous islands to choose from...

Boston
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me Decide!

Have a look at St Croix if you are a foodie. They have the best food in the VI (both British and US). I am a foodie as well and they have a number of excellent high end restaurants as well as fantastic local food. They have an annual food and wine festival there. There are a ton of things to do as well as it is much bigger than any of the other VIs. For resorts, have a look at the Buccaneer.

If you are staying in the BVI, I would look at Little Dix on VG, but IMO, Tortola has better restaurants and more variety.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me Decide!

I'm really liking Little Dix. It's a little more than I was wanting to spend, since without lunch, dinner, and drinks, it's the same price as a place like Iberostar.

At Little Dix, would it be worth it to get a meal plan? What are the prices for dinner at their restaurants... I would imagine it would be the same as many other island resort restaurants, plates ranging from high $20s to $50s.

Also, one last question. Regarding the rooms. For my given time, The Premium Oceanview room is about $100 more/night than the Gardenview Room, and the Tree House Cottage is almost $200 more/night than the Gardenview. Is the Tree House or Oceanview worth the extra $$? I haven't really found any good pictures to help me decide. $200/night would pretty much be our food and drinks each day, ya know?

Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me Decide!

have a look at leverick bay, they have rooms/villas there and also manage a number of villas right around the resort with resort priviledges, it's on virgin gorda, you can use taxi or car and tour around to check out all the great beaches, you can dine around to the numerous great restaurants on VG, you can rent a small boat and do the Leverick beach tour/pub crawl from their custom map, if you don't know how to operate a small boat, use the service of many restaurants in the north sound area of leverick and they'll come and get you if you're having a meal with them, nick and monica manage the place and will definitely add to your honeymoon, this way, you're not spending too much and can visit a variety of beaches and restaurants using the hotel money you saved

DC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me Decide!

Little Dix Bay is fabulous...they do beach drops to desserted beaches....also to spring bay/baths/devils bay....all free of charge....some of their rates will include breakfast....we stayed for our honeymoon and have been back 3 times and love it. Snorkeling off the beach is good. I might pay for the premium ocean view but not the treehouse. We stay in the junior suites...the ocean cottages would be my second choice. I might just go with the garden if I was you and hope for an upgrade - that is common. I actually don't know if the garden view exists. You can walk to the marina and buy beer/booze which will cut down on cost. They give you a free bottle of rum and water. It is a great place to relax.

9. Re: Help me Decide!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 21, 2013