We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

venice beach...
4 posts
Save Topic
Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

We are going bareboating for 4 days in July, we need to stay 2 nights in Tortola and are considering Marina Cay. We are very active, mid-thirties couple from LA. Looking to relax and a nice beach- want mellow. Nice/clean rooms also. Does anyone have any advice about this small hotel? My concerns are:

1) it seems close to airport, is there airport noise?

2) dont want a big time party scene or super touristy place, i know there is a Pussers and it seems a bit commercial?

any advice is welcomed!

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Colorado
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

I personally love Marina Cay - stayed in a villa in Jan for one night and am staying in one of the rooms in May for my first night. THere's no airport noise. It's not a party scene. The accomodations are lovely. The views are amazing. The managers are terrific. Food is quite good - though the restaurant staff is a bit chilly. Lots of bareboaters come in and out. The beach is small but comfy, with chairs and palapas. The grounds are beautiful. There's a little bar with live music most nights. I'm determined to make it my first and/or last stop when flying in and out of Beef Island!

Mentioned in this post
Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

I have not stayed on Marina Cay but wouldn't hesitate for a nano-second. We bareboat there frequently. I don't think you could visit there and not fall in love with it. It's like walking into a postcard!

Noise will not be an issue despite the proximity to the airport unless you are ultra-sensitive to this. I have anchored there and in Trellis Bay multiple times and have never even thought twice about it. You will have bareboat traffic while you are there, but it is not the place bareboaters go to get boisterous and the rooms are relatively isolated at the top of the hill from the restaurant on the beach.

Remember that it is QUITE small. It will be fine for a couple of days to relax and hangout, but you don't go there for much beyond that. GO!

J

Mentioned in this post
Trellis Bay
Trellis Bay
54 Reviews
Tortola
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

you will love it - picture perfect, fab views, great food & service!

venice beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

Thanks so much for all of your comments, i dont think i can wait until july!

What are your thoughts on Marina Cay vs. Cane Garden Beach?

Colorado
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

Marina Cay and CGB are two COMPLETELY different animals! CGB is much livelier - a nicer beach, perhaps, more central location, but there can be an influx of folks when the cruise ships are in port. I like both places - and will even stay in both on the same trip - but for totally different reasons.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

Agree with wanderafk - gotta see both for different reasons:

Marina Cay is a world unto itself - perfect, tranquil island of flowers in a blue, blue sea. The most scenic place I ever did laundry (we were on boat). My daughter, who is 15, has already told us she wants to have her wedding there!

CGB is happening - bars, restaurants, tiny hotels, lotsa boats, lush mountains coming down to a long stretch of palm-fringed beach.

A place to cut-loose, eat some ribs, people-watch.

I love both - Scotty, beam me to Tortola!

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
venice beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

we are going to be at Jost staying at Sandcastle for 3 days and 2 nights, will we get our fill of happening beach scene there?

Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

Your experience on JVD will be different than MC or CGB. Perhaps not as idyllic as MC, but not as "commercial" as CGB. Nicer beach than both. You won't have the traffic there that you may see at CGB. Weather will be warm in July, but you will have the island breezes to moderate it and you don't need much more than swim suits, shorts and T's anyway. Sounds like you have a great itinerary planned. We will be in BVI's in May and are planning a stop in White Bay and Diamond Cay on JVD. Enjoy!!

BTW, for an off-the-beaten path experience, visit Callwood's Rum Distillery in CGB. You will feel like you walked back in time 200 years. Don't be deterred by the location or signage. If you're lucky, Kervin will be there to give you a tour.

jc

Mentioned in this post
White Bay
White Bay
616 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
INDIANA
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

IS MARINA CAY ON TORTOLA, OR ARE YOU SPEAKING OF ANOTHER ISLAND. I see Village Cay Hotel, Nanny Cay Marina, and Maria's by the Sea Listed, but no Marina Cay Hotel.

Does any one have reviews on any of these or the Tradewinds at Harbour View?

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Village Cay BVI Hotel
Village Cay BVI Hotel
77 Reviews
Tortola
Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
187 Reviews
Tortola
Maria's by the Sea
Maria's by the Sea
307 Reviews
Tortola
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marina Cay - thinking of staying there?

Marina Cay is a teeny island off the east end of Tortola, near Trellis Bay & the airport. Go thru the Pussers Rum website to get info - it's one of their properties.

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Trellis Bay
Trellis Bay
54 Reviews
Tortola