We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Bay Beach Resort Questions???

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Long Bay Beach Resort Questions???

Hi we are thinking of going to Tortola in July 2006 with our three kids, 16, 15 & 12. Wondering about The Long Bay Beach Resort. We would stay in a 2BR villa. What is the cheapest way to book this resort? So far have seen prices from $575.00 a night. Wondering also about the beach. Have read that the beach is rocky, water rough and unswimmable. Is this true? We want nice beaches and do want to swim in the ocean but do not want to be knocked down by waves. Does the resort have boogie boards? My kids also like the pool, how is the pool area? How is the shopping on Tortola? Nice town? Any info would help. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
Long Bay Beach
Long Bay Beach
222 Reviews
Tortola
Surfsong Villa Resort
Surfsong Villa Resort
#1 of 1 hotels in Beef Island
Frenchmans
Frenchmans
#1 of 2 hotels in West End
Sugar Mill Hotel
Sugar Mill Hotel
#3 of 25 hotels in Tortola
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Bay Beach Resort Questions???

Hi - we stayed there last July and got 1 bedroom for $200 per night from hotels.com - unbelievable rate. Beachfront suite in 4-unit villa. Big bedroom, huge dressing room/bath. Shower with window open looking at bay. Relaxing verandah. Great pool, my 15-y-o daughter loved the swim-up bar and their great french fries! Not rocky beach, but lots of waves/some undertow. If you are swimmers, no problem. I don't think there is much/any snorkeling. Fab view of Jost. Roadtown is small, homey - meander the back streets for a feel of real Caribbean. Sunny Caribee spice shop is a must. Calmer beaches: Cane Garden, Brewers bay. Avoid staying at Cane Garden on long holiday weekends - fills up with power boats.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Brewers Bay
Brewers Bay
261 Reviews
Tortola
Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Bay Beach Resort Questions???

Is the water so rough that you can't swim in it? I had read that the water is somewhat calmer in the summer months ? How many people could fit in a 1 BR unit. Whe I go on the various web sites I only see a 2 BR amd 1BR cilla. We are a fmaily of 5. What size unit would we need. Also was considering Little Dix on Virgin Gorda. Any comparison between the two? Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Bay Beach Resort Questions???

Hi - yes, I hear from my sailor husband that water is calmer in summer. Not unswimmable - good for body-surfing. You're from Long Island, so you may be used to waves/surf.

There were 2 queen beds in our LBBR room, so 4 was max occupancy. Maybe you could get 2 adjacent suites - being right on beach was perfect - view was mesmerizing. There was also a mini-kitchen - we didn't use.

In any case, just short ride to calm Cane Garden Bay. And Smugglers Cove - calm & gorgeous - is right near Long Bay. Ya gotta beach-hop!

We're going back this year & decided on Icis Villas on Brewer's Bay. Calmer water than Long Bay, and far more low-key than CGB. Supposed to be incredible snorkeling right off beach, which was the clincher. Their rates go down on April 14, and it's only $230 a night for 3-bedroom villa incl. continental bfast & daily maid service. Deal-o-rama!

Mentioned in this post
Cane Garden Bay
Cane Garden Bay
955 Reviews
Tortola
Smuggler's Cove
Smuggler's Cove
522 Reviews
Tortola
Icis Villas
Icis Villas
74 Reviews
Tortola
Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Bay Beach Resort Questions???

Thanks. I will maybe look into the Villas also. You have been a great help. Thanks Jen