We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing in the BVI -can you sleep at night without aircon...

London, England
1 post
Save Topic
sailing in the BVI -can you sleep at night without aircon...

I'm hoping to sail the BVIs next year on a sailing boat but I'm concerned that I won't get a good night's sleep without aircon. Can you get enough air down below by using windscoops over the hatches to direct air into the cabins? Is there a cooler time of year to go? I'd be grateful for the advice of experienced charterers

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sailing in the BVI -can you sleep at night without aircon...

We have chartered in the BVI 6 times for a week each time (all trips between Nov 1 and March 1). On only one of those trips did we find that it was uncomfortably hot for sleeping (90 degrees at night). On some of those nights I simply slept on deck (not the most comfortable scenario).

I think the weather moderates and is less likely to be hot through the night beginning in December and then begins to really heat back up in April/May.. Just my experience and observation.

Beware of "Christmas Winds". Around Christmas (I believe usually after Christmas) there can be a week or so of extrelely strong winds...25+ knots. Uncomfortable and too strong for casual sailing.

Typically in the evening it cools off and you are able to get a nice breeze through the cabin. The air scoops do help. Most of the boats are equipped with small fans in each cabin that we found could run all night without draining the batteries too much. We also sometimes sleep with the cabin doors open to increase cross-ventilation.

More and more of the charter yachts are equipped with AC. Most do not have generators, so that only helps when you are in port and not at a mooring or anchorage.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sailing in the BVI -can you sleep at night without aircon...

We have been chartering in the BVI for over a decade...trips made at all times of the year. I have always found the forward cabins of sailboats to be more than comfortable...have sometimes even needed a blanket...until this last summer...

I don't know if it was just unusually hot and still in July or WHAT, but I found myself miserably hot most nights. It was easy to fix, though, because I had no problem with sleeping up top.

All power boats have generators and air conditioning. An increasing number of sailboats do as well. If you opt for air conditioning, know that it will cost you additional dinero. To avoid the problem all together, I'd recommend chartering between January and April or May...

Hampton, VA
Level Contributor
69 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sailing in the BVI -can you sleep at night without aircon...

Tough question. I can't sleep when I'm hot but my last two boating visits were quite different. One February, we caught an unusual string of windy days and nights. Got down right chilly but I loved it. Another visit in July was less refreshing. It's taking pot luck. Hope you have a good run.