We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Bay Beach

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Long Bay Beach

I have read that the beach at Long Bay Beach Resort is too rough for swimming (I have two younger girls). Are there beaches w/in walking distance from this resort that are suitable for children and swimming or does one need to drive to the better beaches?

Also, any kid friendly recommendations would be helpful for a single mom trying to entertain two girls...besides shopping!

Thanks

Wilmette, IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Bay Beach

I just retutrned from 7 great days there. While the beach immediately in front of the resort is a little rocky, an easy 100 yard walk down the beach gets you to a beautiful and very large (at least a quarter mile wide) sandy-bottomed swimming area. The pool is also nice!

There is also great snorkeling, eating,and some hiking nearby. I also suggest day trips by ferry to other islands including Virgin Gorda (for the Baths) and Jost Van Dyke (for the beauty of White Bay).

Enjoy!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Bay Beach

While there is a large sandy bottom area, the surf in the winter is a little rough. If your girls are youger, it could be too much.

There really isn't anything else within walking distance but Smuggler's is a 5 min drive and it's normally perfect.

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Bay Beach

The beach at Long Bay is long and wide, and fine for small kids as long as you pick a spot that is not too rocky. If there happen to be too many waves on the days you are there, I second the opinion of Smugglers Bay Beach. It's the calmest and least crowded beach we found. However, you will need a 4 wheel drive to get there down a narrow rocky road. Most cabs will also take you. When I was there last winter there were no umbrella or chair rentals and only a small bar that served a limited lunch menu. You should take food/drinks with you for the kids, and try to borrow an umbrella from the hotel along with beach towels.

If you want all the amenities (chairs, umbrellas, restaurants, kayaks, etc) try Cane Garden Bay, about a 20 minute cab ride away. Picture postcard views, calm water and plenty of distractions to keep the kids amused. Definetely more crowded, but it's also long and wide so you can walk a bit and avoid the crowd if you like. You should go there at least for one morning and stay for lunch. It's worth the trip.

Denver, CO
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Bay Beach

Long Bay Resort is on the windward side of the island which means you will get rougher water. A little furter east of Long Bay Resort is where the surfers surf.

If you want more placid water, I go to the leeward side of the island. If you want tol stay on the West End (same end as Long Bay Resort) you may want to try Fort Recovery Villas. They have their own private beach and the villas are directly on the beach while most of the Long Bay units (unless you get a beachfront house are a bit of walk.

The last time I checked, Fort Recovery was less expensive than Long Bay.