We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Digital Camera Suggestions

Connecticut
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Underwater Digital Camera Suggestions

Hello - I am looking into buying an underwater digital for our upcoming trip to the VI's in July. Wondering if anyone has one that they have had good success with? Not looking to spend a ton of money, just something that is a step up from disposable underwater cameras. Thanks in advance for your help!

raleigh nc
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater Digital Camera Suggestions

Look at Nikon Coolpix 5900 $300 (7900 $400) and a nikon underwater housing WP-cp4 (about $200).

raleigh nc
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater Digital Camera Suggestions

I spoke to a diver friend and he told me that the Pentax OptioWP is a digital camera made for a "little" underwater use. On teh web I see that it can handle 5 feet depth for a limited amount of time. Check it out if snorkeling is your thing. For diving you need something that handle the greater pressure at depth. Good luck. FYI - you can reload some of the better disposables with 800 film.

WV
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater Digital Camera Suggestions

I have a Reefmaster 250 DC (digital)that costs about $299. To see pictures look in: aruba-travelguide.com under trip reports; Dec 16 2004 (may be in 2005 year). All the underwater pix were from it. They were downsized for the internet, but you can get an idea of the color, focus, etc.