We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to BVI

St. John's, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to BVI

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone can give me advice on moving to the BVI's. I work in offshore Oil & Gas, and my fiance and I have been discussing moving out of the country for a few years before we have kids, As my employment is on a month-on month-off basis all over the world, we can pretty much live anywhere. I'm not particularily concerned about financals as I make ~125k per year.

My primary questions are:

- As I won't be working in BVI - will this help or impede my ability to get a visa to live in BVIs.Would I have to purchase property? Would renting be a better option if we're just lokoing at 2-3 years?

- What is the likelihood of my fiance finding work as an expat in the BVIs? She is just finishing her MBA so is quite employable.

- Does age have an impact on long term visa applications? I am 24 and she is 27.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Joe

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to BVI

Generally speaking you have to purchase property to to take up residency, even then there are restrictions as to how long you can remain on island each year - full-time residency takes years to get.

Your fiancé will not be allow to work without obtaining a Work Permit which are very difficult to get. She must possess a "unique skill", find an employer willing to sponsor her. Before she can be hired that employer must prove to the local Labor department that there are no locals qualified to fill the position.

Simply put, BVIslanders love having you come as a tourist to spend money - they don't want you living there.

FYI - You'll find similar laws on most Caribbean islands. Check out the Bahamas getting residency there is easier but your fiancé will still need a Work Permit (same type of restrictions) if she needs employment.

Edited: 9:18 am, May 29, 2014
Tortola, BVI
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to BVI

go to www.bvinewbie.com they pretty much cover everything.

Honokaa, Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to BVI

Does anyone know how long a US citizen can stay in BVI on a tourist visa? Is there a limit on how many months you can repeat a 30 day visa?

4. Re: Moving to BVI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 10, 2016
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands