We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am planning a trip to BVI with my fiance. We will be doing a bareboat charter for 5 days, and then plan to spend a night or two, at the Scrub Island Resort. I definitely want to visit Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda (spend 2 days here), and Cane Garden Bay. I have read that Anegada is a beautiful place but that it takes awhile to get there, and that there is not much to do.

Is Anegada worth the trip?

What itinerary do you suggest for first-timers to BVI?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

Hi Chris,

We just got back from our second trip to the BVIs so hopefully I can answer a few of your questions. First, the beaches on Anegada are gorgeous, but the day we were there (in late December) it was brutally windy - you couldn't lay out, or read a book, or really even hear yourself think. So I think it depends on what time of year you visit (it will obviously be windier in the winter). You will also definitely want to make sure that it's a nice day, since there is nothing to do there but eat lunch and go to the beach. The ferry ride from Tortola was 1.25 hours, but it passed quickly (we brought books). From VG it's about 45 minutes.

JVD and VG are both good choices. The Baths are truly spectacular (we've been twice and were still dumbfounded, even on our second visit!) and the party scene at White Bay/Soggy Dollar on JVD is a great way to spend a day. Be sure to ask your boat captain to take you to Sandy Spit off JVD - it's like a classic "desert island" that you won't want to miss!

Finally, Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is gorgeous, but you will want to check the cruise ship schedules before you go there - when the cruise ships are in, there can literally be thousands of people on that one beach. One neat thing to do on CGB is to visit Green VI, an open-air glass-blowing shop that sells gorgeous pieces of hand-blown glass made from recycled beer bottles collected from local restaurants. We spent the better part of a morning there watching them blow glass (they also offer classes) and admiring all the lovely pieces before deciding on which ones to take home.

Not sure when your trip is planned, but I will have a very long, photo-filled trip report ready in about a month that might be helpful to you as far as other things to do, where to eat, etc. It will be posted here, so be on the lookout! :)

Happy travels!

Tracey

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com

Washington
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

Some people love Anegada and some don't. We find it a bit slow for our taste, though there are some great restaurant options there. For me the sail there and back is actually the best part. On a five day charter I would save it for next trip, especially since it is your first time. There will be plenty to see between the other islands.

As far as an itinerary, it partly depends on you and your fiance. Do you prefer having dining and (minimal) shopping options or do want solitude? Do you like longer sails or do you want your sails to be just an hour or two most days? If I had a five nights to fill I would do the following: Cooper Island, Leverick Bay (North-Sound), Great Harbor (Jost Van Dyke), The Bight (Norman Island). The would leave one night and I would probably play that by ear. You could spend an extra night at one of the above mentioned spots if you are having a great time, or throw in another moorage such as Can Garden Bay or maybe another night in North-Sound. If you really like sailing you could do Anegada for that night but you wouldn't have a ton of time on the island. If you want a nice quiet night maybe an anchorage at Little Harbor, Peter Island would be in order. You can probably skip Trellis Bay/Marina Cay since you will be spending a couple nights at Scrub and can take the ferry to both of those spots. All of the above moorages except Little Harbor have at least a beach bar or two and some have significantly more options.

There are lots of options. If you post your preferences we could probably give you better suggestions.

Matt

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

Matt, thank you for taking the time to respond, it is much appreciated.

We are a young couple so the beach bar scene is appealing, at least for a few days. We would prefer to be in the areas with shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. Also, I think we would prefer the shorter sails, so we will probably pass on Anegada. Thanks for your input!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

Tracey, thank you for your post! I am really looking forward to seeing your pictures. We are uncertain of when we are going to BVI (either early May '15 or early December '14). Thanks for your advice, I will definitely check the cruise schedule before we head to Cane Garden Bay.

Washington
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

OK, now that we have some details I'll add a bit more. I would probably choose May for your first trip. December can be great, but it can also blow like stink if the Christmas winds come through. You would have a better chance at the perfect 15 knot trades during May - although there are never any guarantees. I think given that you like the beach bar scene and want to do some shopping, the itinerary I laid out would work great for you. I'd add Cane Garden Bay between North Sound and Jost Van Dyke and skip Anegada this trip for sure.

As far as day stops, if you have time you could snorkel the Rhone off of Salt Island on your way to Cooper Island. Leave Cooper the next morning and motor to the Baths for a couple hours on your way to North Sound. Try to get there before 8:00 to beat the tour boats and have a decent chance at a mooring ball. In Leverick you can dinghy over to the Bitter End Yacht Club and Saba Rock if you would like, but if you like the vibe at Leverick I'd just stay there - especially if you happen to be there on a Friday night. There is also a water taxi from Gun Creek to the BEYC if you prefer. You can stop by Sandy Cay or Sandy Spit on your trip from Cane Garden Bay to Jost Van Dyke. I'm pretty sure Sandy Cay has mooring balls, not sure about Sandy Spit (maybe I've got that backwards). You'll love Jost and exploring the bars along the beach there. If you have time you might want to take a taxi over the hill and check out White Bay as well. Also, you could taxi over to Diamond Cay and hike to the Bubbly Pool. When sailing to Norman Island you might want to swing by Soper's Hole for an early lunch and a bit of shopping. Finally, snorkel The Indians and The Caves at Norman before partying the night away on the Willy T. Spend the next two nights recovering at Scrub and enjoying their great pool and restaurant. We love Scrub Island and typically grab slip there for a night or two on all of our trips. Never stayed in the rooms but I'm sure they are nice.

6. Re: First Trip to BVI - Advice Needed:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 05, 2015
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands