We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics help between islands

western ny
Level Contributor
257 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics help between islands

Hi, planning our first BVI vacation in December. Been many times to STT and StJ. We are arriving on STT on a Tuesday, spending two nights there, taking a ferry to Virgin Gorda on Thursday for three nights, then leaving VG on a Sunday to go to Jost for three nights. Returning to STT on Wednesday to fly home.

With that information, can someone clue me in on the ferry schedules and where i would be going through customs? I've read the schedules, but they make my head spin a bit. On a Thursday I should be able to go to VG directly correct? past that point I get confused on the rest of it.

Thank you!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics help between islands

On the way down, you'll clear BVI Immigration/Customs when you arrive on Virgin Gorda.

On Thursdays, if you take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie you go direct to VG. If you take the ferry from Red Hook you'll make an intermediate stop at Cruz Bay (St. John).

On Sunday, you'll have to take the ferry from VG to Tortola then connect with the ferry to JVD.

FYI - on your return from JVD to STT you'll be on a ferry that make an intermediate stop at Cruz Bay. I believe that's where you'll clear US Immigrations/Customs.

Go here for lots of FAQ's about the ferries then use the "Select Ferry Schedule" link to confirm schedules and routing for your particular trip: www.bestofbvi.com/info/info_bviferry.htm

western ny
Level Contributor
257 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics help between islands

Thank you for the information. The one thing that is still confusing me is the ferry from VG to Jost. We will need to take the ferry to Tortola, then another ferry to Jost. But the ferries don't arrive/depart from the same place it looks like. Arrive in Road Town and depart in West End. So we will need to taxi to West End? Are taxis at Road Town all the time I assume, and roughly how much does it cost to get from there to West End?

Thanks again.

California
Level Contributor
6,535 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics help between islands

When we did it in June I think it was $15. per person plus a luggage fee. You won't have any problem finding a taxi for the 15 minute or so trip. Taxi's will also be waiting for you at the JVD ferry dock when you get there assuming you need one.

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics help between islands

This is unorthodox, but could work out well for you. Dive BVI does an Island Hopper trip which goes from VG to Jost.

www.divebvi.com/trips/island-hopper-cruise/

Price is $100, which might not be much more than ferry-taxi-ferry. It would also be a fun excursion. Call to see if they permit you to end your trip at Jost.

5. Re: Logistics help between islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, September 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands