We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

We'll be getting married in early July of 2014, and I'm excitedly planning the honeymoon. We're set on the Caribbean, but we're not sure which area will fit what we're looking for best. Early research has me leaning towards the BVI and USVI (St. John's and Virgin Gorda, to give you guys an idea of what interests us), but we're open to anywhere in the Caribbean.

Background info: We'll have 8-10 days including travel time, and we would like to split it between two spots. We would like to spend the first 3-4 nights roughly at an all-inclusive resort (we're not 100% set on AI, but the bride would definitely prefer to spend some time at an AI), and then have the second half of our honeymoon be at a more low key, secluded, beautiful beach with good food within a twenty minute drive or so. We would like to mix in plenty of hiking, snorkeling, and day trips to secluded beaches (which we could access via hiking, kayaking, driving a rental car, getting a boat to drop us off, etc). We would prefer for the two spots to be on different islands so we can explore two different areas. We would also like to not stray too terribly far from the airport we fly into so we don't have to spend too much precious vacation time en-route, which is part of the reason the Virgin Islands are attractive to me (VG and STJ after flying into STT).

Like I said, I'm open to any part of the Caribbean, so don't take my leaning towards the Virgin Islands as being set in stone. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

From what you have described, St John and Virgin Gorda match your needs perfectly. Great beachfront resorts that are not high rise and are romantic, excellent beaches and hiking (hiking on St John is outstanding with National Park maintained trails), a good selection of restaurants, and the ability to visit other islands in the area easily. Split the time between the two islands however you desire.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

I agree with the above and would add that there are not many AIs on these two islands. They are not very popular on the VI as people like to get out and explore and go to different restaurants.

Pasadena, Maryland
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

Virgin Gorda should be right for you. Look into the villas in Mahoe Bay, specifically Adagio, they have a great 2 person rate and it's on a really nice beach. You can take a short free boat ride to Saba Rock, The Bitter End, or Biras Creek. Savannah Bay is one of my favorite beaches, I got married there last year. Spring Bay beach is nice as are the Baths. On St John you can check out Caneel Bay, not an AI but you can get a meal plan. I can't think of any true AI's in the Virgins. As the other poster said most people like to get out and explore and try out the different bars and eateries.

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, everyone! Now I only have to wait another twelve months...

5. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 14, 2013
east longmeadow, ma
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

What about splitting it up? I'm pretty sure Caneel Bay has a deal with their sister resort, Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda......do 4 days at each......that would be a hot trip!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

OH my goodness the world’s best honeymoon vacation is walking on board a catamaran and sailing 1 hour each day to each of the islands you see in front of you. There are 32 islands in a semicircle so all sailing is calm, this is where mermaids and dolphins play.

What is a catamaran charter? 3m video

yachtsbhc.com/charter-information/ultimate-y…

Here is the perfect catamaran for your honeymoon-vacation: Green Flash 48 feet: 3 minute video

This is your catamaran and crew team:

yachtsbhc.com/luxury-yacht-charters/catamara…

This way you get to enjoy 14 different anchorages and 10 different islands in 7-8 days on board.

Kindly e-mail Andrew Buys for “YOUR ULTIMATE HONEYMOON” info@yacht-charters.tv 800-478-2029

No resort or hotel or villa would give you anywhere near the experience you would enjoy on board a private catamaran.

Edited: 4:00 pm, July 15, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

Hi cburton,

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming wedding/marriage.

You've already gotten some great advice on St John and Virgin Gorda recommendations. I think you would be happy with that split, but I'm also going to throw you a curve ball with another suggestion... Anguilla and St. Bart's. these islands are easy to travel between, but offer very different experiences. Anguilla is a flat, "scrubby" island with gorgeous beaches, while St. Bart's is hilly and lush. They both have many beautiful, secluded beaches, and fantastic restaurants. St. Bart's is a French island, so it has that French chic vibe going on.

However, you do mention doing an all-inclusive and neither of these islands offer that option. Also, doing Anguilla and St. Bart's would greatly depend on your budget. These are not inexpensive islands.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

Whenever I first started researching, I was looking into Anguilla and St. Bart's pretty intently because of the reviews on the beaches. The only thing that ended up making me lean back towards the Virgin Islands is that we are looking to be pretty active and do a variety of activities on our honeymoon - lounge on beaches, enjoy good food, hike, snorkel, etc. So while Anguilla sounded like it would absolutely fulfill lounging on beaches and enjoying good food the best out of any Caribbean islands, I wasn't ready to sacrifice hiking through lush forests and mountains or compromise on being able to snorkel or scuba dive around St. John's. Based on what I've read, I would really love to sample the beaches and food at Anguilla at some point, but it just didn't quite seem to fit what we were looking for in a honeymoon. Thanks for the great suggestion though!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best couple of places in the Caribbean to honeymoon?

If you stay on Virgin Gorda, try to get over to Anegada for a day trip. Very secluded, and gorgeous beaches. Maybe you might want to check it out for a short stay.

Biras Creek and Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda are two other places to check out. Bitter End has a package deal with meals.

I am sure if you pick St. John or Virgin Gorda, you will have the best time! Congratulations and have a ball!