We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
233 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

Which island has better snorkeling from it's beaches-- Peter Island or Scrub Island? Whichever we choose we'll also take a snorkeling boat tour, but we like the idea of being able to snorkel from the beach too.

We actually have been to Peter Island quite a few years ago and did not experience good snorkeling there- but the weather was really bad when we were there, so visibility was low. I am thinking it's not usually the case!

Thanks for your advice!

chicago
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

Peter island. There is great snorkeling near the beach adjacent to the bar. Very quiet and untouched. I

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

I went scuba diving nearly every day when we stayed at PI, but also snorkeled Deadman's Bay Beach a couple of times and was underwhelmed. However, we did the PI day sail snorkel trip to Great Dog and the Baths, and the snorkeling was excellent on that trip. Here are a few pics

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

I don't know about the snorkeling directly off Scrub, but nearby Diamond Reef off Marina Cay is an excellent site for snorkeling and diving. I shot these pics during a dive there

…smugmug.com/Underwater/…

If you want to do a fair amount of snorkeling during your BVI vacation, then I suggest taking a close look at Virgin Gorda, which I think has some of the best snorkeling sites in the BVI. Most of these snorkeling videos are at Mahoe Bay, VG:

www.youtube.com/playlist…

Have a great trip, alashas

Tampa, Florida
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

Scrub Island has excellent diving right off the island. There is a Dive BVI shop at the resort that can help get you set up. If you haven't dived at Scrub, add it to your list!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

Thanks, we give Dive BVI our highest recommendation! 10 of us were certified by them and this is the video they made for us of a dive charter we did with them of our first 2 dives after our certification. Safe diving, alashas

http://youtu.be/wTdNG63N1bM

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

Hands down Peter Island's beaches are best for snorkeling - and there are five of them! Peter Island's dive shop is amazing - they can help with renting snorkel equipment and giving advice regarding the best spots to see amazing sea life.

6. Re: Snorkeling- Peter Island or Scrub Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands