We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sailing and NY novice

ny.novice
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sailing and NY novice

We are travelling to BVI's in April for first ever sailing holiday . 2 adults, 2 kids with two experienced sailors (10 days ) , followed by four days in New York. What to pack - so much weather - so little room Help !!!

Anything I must take? Anything I am thinking of packing I should ditch b4 I leave?

Mentioned in this post
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sailing and NY novice

Pack light in a soft sided bag (like a duffel bag). There's not alot of space for storing clothes and definitely no room for hard sided luggage. You might want to pack your NYC clothes in a separate bag from your boating clothes. That way, you can leave your NYC clothes with your hotel or with the charter company.

You don't need to take alot for sailing. The general rule of thumb is to only take HALF of what you originally intended to pack. You'll find that you don't need anything other than a t-shirt and shorts when on a boat. Take along one decent outfit if you're having dinner somewhere nice - but most places frequented by sailors will be OK if you're wearing shorts and a tshirt.

* Take an extra hat and an extra pair of sunglasses with you - we always lose at least one hat overboard everytime we go sailing.

* Take clothespins with you so you can pin your wet clothes to the boat's lifelines to dry. They will blow off if you just hang them there.

* Bring your own beach towel - charter companies will provide you with a bath towel but nothing big enough for the beach.

* Bring a sweatshirt. It can actually get chilly at night if the wind is blowing right.

Just remember.....pack light! Have a good trip.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sailing and NY novice

When we sail, I always try to make it to Leverick Bay on VG by 2 in the afternoon about mid week. There, they have a small laundry very convenient to the dingy dock. there's also a small grocery there, 3-4 little shops, a restaurant and bar and a pool you are allowed to use. So, we throw in the clothes, look around the shops a bit, have a drink and take a little swim while our laundry does its thing. Once finished, we return it to the boat, then go ashore again for dinner.

For 10 days of sailing, I personally would fly in something 1/2 way decent so as to have something to wear just in case we go to the 3 or 4 restaurants down there where it matters.

Then, Tevas (or some type of sandal that can get wet) 5-6 t shirts or similar, 4 pairs of shorts, a sweatshirt, undies, 2 swim suits, a cover-up, a beach towel, hat, sunscreen and a camera...plus (I'm a woman) a very small make-up, toiletry bag.

Even then, I usually don't wear everything.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sailing and NY novice

Duffel-bag type luggage a must!

Take it from someone who overpacks - you don't need all those extra clothes for that special night out - everyone is dressed down!

#1 Tip - bring clothes that are comfy and worn: sun & salt can make for tender skin, so the comfier the better! Plus favorite clothes can help allay any homesickness the kids might get. Old t-shirts are great to snorkel in, too.

Musts: sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, aloe, benadryl, hand sanitizer or baby-wipes, clothes-pins, non-smelly moisturizer.

Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands