We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

William Thornton

Michigan, Grand...
7 posts
Save Topic
William Thornton

Has anyone had dinner here? Is it worth the trip?

New Haven, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: William Thornton

Willy T at Norman Island? If that is, in fact, the place you're asking about, well, it's a great place to party, but I would hardly suggest it for dining. It's typically crowded, with loud music, people jumping naked off the upper deck, and some pretty risque activities in the bar area (body shots, etc.)

I think if you looked closely at the kitchen area, you'd probably prefer to just stick to cocktails, if you know what I mean.

You can get some decent food across the way at Pirate's. Nothing to write home about, but decent.

Mentioned in this post
The Willy T
The Willy T
362 Reviews
Norman Island
Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: William Thornton

Depends what you're looking for. There is a bar tender there by the name of Zeus. He a legend in the area and is pretty much controlled by his hormones. We rented a power boat for the day about a month ago, and when we were there, there were several kids there for lunch like we were. He was amazingly restrained and not up to his usual antics. Was it because of the children? Probably.

They do offer a free t-shirt for anyone who jumps off the second story deck n-k-d. I've jumped off many times in a swimming suit with my kids and husband just for fun...but I am not into the free t-shirt type of behavior.

We've been chartering bareboats out of Tortola for YEARS and always have lunch at the Willy T. after we snorkel the Indians. (BTW, the indians are about the best snorkel there is down there.) Maybe once or twice out of 15 or so visits we've seen a woman take them up on their offer...and we made sure the kids were in the dining area and not the bar so they wouldn't know what was going on.

Dinner? I wouldn't. I think the dinner crowd is into getting pretty drunk and wild and while I love to drink, it's just not my type of scene. Too wild and s-x oriented for me. It is fun to go there for lunch, though.

Just ashore is Pirates restaurant. It is more restrained and a nicer place. So, is either worth the trip? I say yes, but just because I LOVE being on the water and would enjoy the trip and opportunity to get off land and into a boat!

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
The Willy T
The Willy T
362 Reviews
Norman Island
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: William Thornton

Willy T - we saw plenty of "butt fish" there last June/July - female & male, day & night.

Pirates has good food, nice little beach. Make reservations.

Mentioned in this post
The Willy T
The Willy T
362 Reviews
Norman Island
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands