We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in the Islands

RI
1 post
Save Topic
Safety in the Islands

Hi!

My friend and I are planning to take a cruise that will have stops in the Virgin Islands (Tortola, St. Thomas, St. Maartin). What is the safety of the islands for three girls in their early 20's? Do you know any webpages I could access that could tell me a little about the safety of different travel locals (because we're considering different cruise lines that go to different places as well). We want to have a good time but not worry about getting ourselves into dangerous situations. Thanks so much!

Colorado
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in the Islands

I'm not sure about websites, but the Fodors and Lonely Planet guides are pretty much right on when it comes to advising women travellers on safety issues. As far as what I know from travelling as a solo woman myself, don't wander around Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas at night - take a cab and stick together. You can easily wander into something or someplace you don't want to encounter. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with a town map before venturing out.

Tortola is quite safe. Road Town is a town, so exercise the usual cautions, but the more lively beach bar areas, like Cane Garden Bay, are fine for going from beach bar to beach bar, restaurants, etc, day or night. I haven't spent much time in Road Town itself, except at a couple of spots near the local ferry dock and at Village Cay near the cruise ship dock, which has a pleasant and busy tavern/restaurant. Still felt safe walking there in the evening. During the day, no worries at all.

Seems I recall some websites devoted to women travellers, but they're not coming to mind. If I can find them, I'll repost.